Tom Tom ONE 130 and geocaching

Hello. I recently bought a refurbished Tom Tom ONE 130 at a great price ($49 after rebate on eCost!) that is proving to be a great "car GPS" for me.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that it can navigate to a lat/long waypoint, and this made me wonder about it for geocaching. I do certainly plan to use it to navigate my car as close as possible to a geocache, but again, this made me wonder. I am thinking "no" for the following reasons:

1) Even if "yes", maybe not good to bring this in the woods and potentially scratch/break (though size-wise it is not much bigger than a handheld).

2) Though it has a "walking mode", doesn't seem to have something like a "compass rose" or something that lets you really navigate "off street".

I am not too concerned if it's "no" (as I have no plans to sell my Forerunner, which I use both for caching and exercise), but I just wanted to get confirmation of my theory, since it could be a good "emergency backup" if I'm wrong. Any thoughts welcome, thanks in advance of your responses.

Hello. I recently bought a refurbished Tom Tom ONE 130 at a great price ($49 after rebate on eCost!) that is proving to be a great "car GPS" for me.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that it can navigate to a lat/long waypoint, and this made me wonder about it for geocaching. I do certainly plan to use it to navigate my car as close as possible to a geocache, but again, this made me wonder. I am thinking "no" for the following reasons:

1) Even if "yes", maybe not good to bring this in the woods and potentially scratch/break (though size-wise it is not much bigger than a handheld).

2) Though it has a "walking mode", doesn't seem to have something like a "compass rose" or something that lets you really navigate "off street".

I am not too concerned if it's "no" (as I have no plans to sell my Forerunner, which I use both for caching and exercise), but I just wanted to get confirmation of my theory, since it could be a good "emergency backup" if I'm wrong. Any thoughts welcome, thanks in advance of your responses.

It can be used for geocaching and you can add a program to help see caches on the screen. One of the problems however, is if the cache is too close to the road, it will have trouble getting a lock and will want you to stay on the road. Afterall, it is a street GPSr.

It can be used for geocaching and you can add a program to help see caches on the screen. One of the problems however, is if the cache is too close to the road, it will have trouble getting a lock and will want you to stay on the road. Afterall, it is a street GPSr.

Do you know how I can get the program? I'd be curious to try it.....

http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php

Here you go. check this site and download the TYRE software...

OK thanks.

OK thanks.

did you get this to work?