Hooking to a Computer

scentsitiv

I was reading a post where hooking to a computer was mentioned as an option for the GPS. What is the benefit of this as opposed to just having a GPS which is not connected. I was under the impression that all GPS's could be hooked up to a computer in order to download new maps. I am presently looking for advice on which model to buy. I haven't begun the caching yet and I'm not sure if my son is going to be hooked on it. So I'm looking for a model that is accurate yet inexpensive. I'm pretty sure that is not going to be a viable option for me though. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to go with a GPs that supports the Wherigo program (sorry if I spelled it wrong) as my son is so into video games. They are his passion. So I'm thinking that we need to get involved with caching directly connected to some sort of game, in order for him to be totally committed to doing this. Are there abundant caches for the Wherigo platform in Canada? Is it feasible for me to go out and get a GPS that is game enabled. Is a GPS with the Wherigo platform also usable for the car as well as caching? I think that it would be silly of me to buy a GPS that isn't functional for both :blink: . I'm feeling a little inadequate right now as far as having any clue what to do.

Edited by scentsitiv

Wherigo is nothing like a video game. It isn't user friendly and doesn't seem any fun to me or my kids.

It is good to have your GPSr connect to your computer to be able to put coordinates in it. Imagine before looking for every geocache having to key in 15 numbers minimum. This won't be like using a computer keyboard. It will be cumbersome. And if you mess up and get the numbers wrong you sure will have some trouble.

Even with a simple GPSr you can put hundreds of waypoints (coordinates) into your unit in just a matter of seconds. Then just set the GPSr for your destination and go.

I don't have any experience with Wherigo, but I would suggest looking at a GPS that can be connected to your computer via USB. As mentioned, it allows you to almost instantly send information about caches to your GPS unit. Without it, you'll be entering all of your coordinates manually. Which is possible, but is time consuming and kind of a pain. Plus there's a chance you'll enter the numbers incorrectly. HTH! :blink:

Wherigo is nothing like a video game. It isn't user friendly and doesn't seem any fun to me or my kids.

It is good to have your GPSr connect to your computer to be able to put coordinates in it. Imagine before looking for every geocache having to key in 15 numbers minimum. This won't be like using a computer keyboard. It will be cumbersome. And if you mess up and get the numbers wrong you sure will have some trouble.

Even with a simple GPSr you can put hundreds of waypoints (coordinates) into your unit in just a matter of seconds. Then just set the GPSr for your destination and go.

Thanks for the information. It helps me a great deal. Do you suggest a Garwin Oregon or is there another one that is just as useful but cheaper?

Edited by scentsitiv

Thanks for the information. It helps me a great deal. Do you suggest a Garwin Oregon or is there another one that is just as useful but cheaper?

The Garmin Oregon is a fine all around unit and if you want to try out Wherigo it has the capability. Some people do enjoy the game and the next generation of Wherigo is supposed to be a major improvement.

The Garmin Colorado also supports Wherigo and is a bit cheaper.

The Garmin Oregon is a great GPS...the Colorado is also an excellent choice and should be a little less expensive. I use the Colorado and one of my caching buddies recently upgraded from a Colorado to the Oregon. Same basic functions...Oregon adds a touch screen and slightly smaller size. Both are highly recommended.