"Geocaching Mode"

I'm on the Garmin website comparing handheld models, and there's a feature that Garmin refers to as "Geocaching mode." Not all the eTrex series models have this feature when I filter on it, even though those that don't seem like they would be okay for geocaching. What functions make up the "Geocaching mode" in Garmin's eyes? I'm just curious because I'm new to geocaching and want to understand the basic technology before I buy my first geocaching GPS.

This is distinct from true "paperless" geocaching, which is only supported on high-end units like the Garmin Colorado, Oregon, Dakota and the DeLorme PN-20, -30 and -40. With paperless support, you have the ability to store all the information about the cache right on the device -- including the full description, any hints, and the most recent log entries. You also have the ability to write log entries on the unit, and later upload them to geocaching.com to serve as the basis for your posted logs.

None of the listed units support automatic download of images associated with the cache. Those that have image viewers allow you to do so with extra manual steps. Although some (like the Colorado) are worse than others, any log entries you write on these units will be brief because of the input mechanisms they use. There are differences among the various models as to how many caches they will hold, how long the descriptive information can be, and so forth. But any one of them implements paperless in a very usable way.

This is distinct from true "paperless" geocaching, which is only supported on high-end units like the Garmin Colorado, Oregon, Dakota and the DeLorme PN-20, -30 and -40. With paperless support, you have the ability to store all the information about the cache right on the device -- including the full description, any hints, and the most recent log entries. You also have the ability to write log entries on the unit, and later upload them to geocaching.com to serve as the basis for your posted logs.

None of the listed units support automatic download of images associated with the cache. Those that have image viewers allow you to do so with extra manual steps. Although some (like the Colorado) are worse than others, any log entries you write on these units will be brief because of the input mechanisms they use. There are differences among the various models as to how many caches they will hold, how long the descriptive information can be, and so forth. But any one of them implements paperless in a very usable way.

Exactly how do you upload the logs to geocaching.com with the Colorado?

Edited by bittsen

I believe it requires a premium gc.com membership (as does taking full advantage of paperless, because you really need pocket queries). Choose My Profile from the left sidebar. On the profile page, choose Access My Field Notes from the right sidebar. On the bottom of the resulting page, click where indicated for your unit. Connect the Colorado in mass storage mode. Click the Browse button and browse to the log file on the Colorado (sorry, don't remember the file name). Click the Upload Field Note button. When the upload is complete, click the link (under the file name box) that says Return to Field Notes. Now you will see a list of the caches that were logged on the Colorado. For each cache, you will see two links: Post Log and Delete Log. Click Post Log. This takes you to the cache logging page with data pre-populated from what was on the Colorado (date, found/DNF/whatever, and any comments you logged). Edit as needed and post the log as usual. Click the link to return to the field notes page. You will see that the cache you just logged is no longer on the list. Repeat for each cache.

If, for some reason, you don't want to post the log, you can click Delete Log instead. This just removes it from the field notes list.

It is good practice to delete the field notes file from the Colorado (using Windows Explorer) when you have logged all your finds on gc.com. This helps to avoid duplicate logs since the Colorado just accumulates additional logs in the file as long as it exists.

I believe it requires a premium gc.com membership (as does taking full advantage of paperless, because you really need pocket queries). Choose My Profile from the left sidebar. On the profile page, choose Access My Field Notes from the right sidebar. On the bottom of the resulting page, click where indicated for your unit. Connect the Colorado in mass storage mode. Click the Browse button and browse to the log file on the Colorado (sorry, don't remember the file name). Click the Upload Field Note button. When the upload is complete, click the link (under the file name box) that says Return to Field Notes. Now you will see a list of the caches that were logged on the Colorado. For each cache, you will see two links: Post Log and Delete Log. Click Post Log. This takes you to the cache logging page with data pre-populated from what was on the Colorado (date, found/DNF/whatever, and any comments you logged). Edit as needed and post the log as usual. Click the link to return to the field notes page. You will see that the cache you just logged is no longer on the list. Repeat for each cache.

If, for some reason, you don't want to post the log, you can click Delete Log instead. This just removes it from the field notes list.

It is good practice to delete the field notes file from the Colorado (using Windows Explorer) when you have logged all your finds on gc.com. This helps to avoid duplicate logs since the Colorado just accumulates additional logs in the file as long as it exists.

log file on the Colorado (sorry, don't remember the file name). Geocache_visits in the garmin sub file.

you dont need do delete this file every time although it is worth doing every now and then. The GC field note page will ignore logs prior to and including your last download.

:anitongue:

Depending on what model of GPSr you are looking at and the make, will give you different Geocaching modes.

with the lower end models the geocaching mode basically give you a list of caches by name or GCcode, once you have selected the one you want it will give you a GO option and then the direction to go. Once you have found or not the cache it will then give you a option to mark the caches Found Unfound Needs repair (maybe a few more)

Once you have selected one option the unit will give you options of Find another Or Done.

Thats basically it.

On the higher end models you have Profiles, these are more indepth settings such as Automotive, which you can set to lock on road for use as a satnav to get you near the cache.

the Geocaching mode you set to off road to get you to the cache, it also has a good description of the cache with hint and recent logs, When you have found the cache the unit allows you mark the cache as Found, Did Not Find, Needs Maintanace and other options. At this point you can also add Fieldnotes these are entered via the GPSr and are really useful when you do long series, you can enter text notes to help you remember the cache which you can upload to GC via Access Field notes.

The Profiles are very usefull and can be set so the GPSr behaves differently and even uses different maps, screen layouts and lots of other things.

Buying your first GPSr is a mine field, it is worth trying different units if you can try and find a local cacher to go out with for a while and see what and how they use theirs.

I have only owned a GPSr for around a year now, and in that time i have had an Etrex, Venture HC, Legend HCX, Colorado 300 and now an oregon 300. The latter being what i think is just about perfect and easiest with the least amount of preperation to use.

hope this helps :anitongue: