Any good GPS maps for download?

Openstreetmaps currently incorporates all the Census TIGER map data, and is updated by a community similar to Wikipedia. There are tools to convert their open data to Garmin IMG files; someone has already done the conversion for you. The following link:

http://touren.mospace.de/kachel.html

will take you to a page that allows you to select a rectangular area. If you find the map interface for this awkward, you can simply enter, in decimal degrees, the longitude and latitude of the SW and NE corners of the region.

It will return with links to downloadable links to the compressed IMG files. Because there may be a lot of them, a link to a shell script is also provided. Uploading them to your GPSr is up to you.

Disclaimer: I do use Openstreetmaps, and have, at times, edited them, though I receive no monetary gain for this. I do use Openstreetmap-based data in conjunction with a navigation system, though it is not a Garmin. My Garmin receiver is pre-maps.

You can get maps for many populated parts of the world. They are updated regularly, and free.