[Feature Request] Field notes notifications

The Cheeseheads

Probably more iPhone-related, but it's actually a request for a site feature rather than for the iPhone app.

Problem: It's not very obvious where you need to go on the site to find submitted field notes, and even if you know where to look, it still takes a couple clicks and some scrolling to get there. New users might be completely lost. Also, if you submitted one on vacation and forgot to look for it when you get back, it would sit there indefinitely.

I'm suggesting implementing a visible reminder that you submitted field notes from some source, but haven't yet turned them into actual logs.

For example:

886d8f9b-ae81-4c77-94e5-dd9603701708.jpg

The note would appear if you had unsaved notes, and would also function as a link to the field notes page.

That is probably the most asked question in the iPhone section. "I just started caching and logged my first 3 caches, but they didn't show up..."

A few people have said they started geocaching just from seeing & buying the iPhone app on iTunes. For those who've cached awhile with a regular GPS, they know their way about the GC.com site, but the iphone app shields people from a lot of stuff, like when logging a cache.

You never have to search for a GC number, cache name or anything like that. You just simply go to the Field Notes page, but it's not easy to make that connection unless told about it.

'zactly. The first time I tried logging a cache with my iPhone is the first time I'd ever encountered field notes. It took me awhile to first figure out that the find I had thought I logged really wasn't a log but a field note, and a bit longer to figure out where I had to go on the site to find that note.

One quick questions, now that I have discovered field notes it has been usefull. However, if I utilize the clear all field notes at the bottom, will it also delete logs put in?

No, it won't clear logs...it will clear the pending field notes displayed on that screen.