Hotel

DeepButi

What's the purpose of a TB/Geocoin "hotel"?

I came into one of this ... but was empty :D and then I read some post -on another subject- qualyfying them of "prisons".

Thks

Travel bug hotels are unofficial trading spots for travel bugs. It's a really convenient way to keep TBs moving in all directions. They are usually along major routes, but not always.

The difference between a travel bug hotel and a travel bug prison is that with a travel bug prison, you are required to leave one if you take one. The hotel is voluntary.

The reason the hotel you visited was empty is because all travel bugs passing through there have been picked up and nobody has dropped any off there recently.

[... It's a really convenient way to keep TBs moving in all directions. ...

Well, that's what my question was about.

Why is it a "convenient way to keep TBs moving" ? What's the diference with a normal cache with TBs ? Is people going there -every week, month, whatever- to get/put TBs even if they already find the cache time ago?

Assume I got a TB that I intended to put somewhere helping his goal, and for some reason I'm not able to do it in a reasonable time ... should I go to the hotel I found nearby and let it there? Log again as found or simply drop the TB?

etc etc

See what I mean?

Travel bug hotels are a quick way to identify that the cache container is large enough to hold several travel bugs at one time. This is very helpful in urban areas where most cache containers are micros and not large enough to hold a bug.

There are several hotels in my urban area that get a lot of repeat traffic from cachers who are having a hard time trying to find a cache large enough to hold a bug. If you have not found the hotel yet, log the find and drop the bug. If you have already found the container and want to just add a bug, write a Note and drop the bug. That way the bug goes into the hotel's inventory and others know it is there (including the owner).

Hotels where the cache owner places a restriction on the bugs (like can only take a bug if you leave a bug) are unofficially called prisons. This is not a practice encouraged by GS since the cache owner is placing rules and restrictions on other people's property. It would be like parking your car in a garage and the garage owner says you can only get your car out when another car comes along to take it's place. You could be waiting for months before you can get your property moving again.

Hotels are a outstanding way to lose a boatload of TBs and geocoins in one swoop, if the cache goes missing.

yes. i had a very nice one; it had about five pounds of keys on it. ONE of the keys opened a cache of mine, and the TB had a lovely engraved tag with the coordinates to the cache on it.

the cache was on a beautiful little island in a pretty lake.

it lasted for a number of years, until some bozo put it in a TB hotel and then it was gone forever in a matter of days.

i had to archive the cache.

Hotels are a outstanding way to lose a boatload of TBs and geocoins in one swoop, if the cache goes missing.

yes. i had a very nice one; it had about five pounds of keys on it. ONE of the keys opened a cache of mine, and the TB had a lovely engraved tag with the coordinates to the cache on it.

the cache was on a beautiful little island in a pretty lake.

it lasted for a number of years, until some bozo put it in a TB hotel and then it was gone forever in a matter of days.

i had to archive the cache.

Clearly understood :D.

Hotel? Which hotel? Never heard of an hotel here :D

And sometimes even if the cache does not go missing. If a person is out to collect/steal geocoins... a hotel would be coin heaven to them if it is stocked full.

There's a TB motel near here where at least 10 out of 15 trackables are missing. What irks me is that people keep dropping them in there. It's as if the cache has an empty bottom where they all magically disappear. I posted a note on the listing once stating you are taking a big chance here. Maybe it's time to leave another one.