travel bug isn't logged yet

thorsnrh

This weekend, I found a cache and left a travel bug, and picked up a different one. The one I picked up is listed as "in the possession of" someone. When they logged their find, they clearly stated when and where they planned to release it. (which matches where I found it.) I want to log that I have it, but how do I do that and still record where I got it? How long do I wait for them to record it? Should I record that I dropped a travel bug, then go back later and record that I picked one up?

Yeah, good point--some people are on vacation, not just a day off! :blink: Should I "drop" the bug I left, so someone else isn't waiting on me to record it, or wait until I can do it all at one time? Will I be able to record the find later?

If you left another TB in a cache you should drop it along with your Found it log. If you have already posted you can post a note to do the drop. The Retrieval of a different bug doesn't have to be part of your Found it logging and bug drops.

Unless you mean you picked up the bug in question and have already left it iin another cache. That would be a different scenario.

Yeah, good point--some people are on vacation, not just a day off! :) Should I "drop" the bug I left, so someone else isn't waiting on me to record it, or wait until I can do it all at one time? Will I be able to record the find later?

YES!, log your drop immediately--otherwise you perpetuate the same problem you encountered.

Keep in mind that the while the logging of the cache and dropping of the traveler(s) ARE done in a single combined process, the retrieving of travelers is an entirely seperate process (and seperate from the retireving of other travelers) that doesn't even require any direct involvement of the cache. Therefore, if necessary, you can still log a retrieval/grab several days or more after you log the cache find/traveler drop.

We have found that it works best for us to always retrieve (or attempt to retrieve) the travelers first and then log the find and drop traveler(s) second. This way if there are any problems (such as you encountered) we'll know about them first.

In the past week, I have had to politely email folks and ask them if they had forgotten to log the drop or pickup. Two corrected immediately and returned an email, other one just corrected the log.

Doesn't always work, but I suppose better than just grabbing it immediately. Some may have to travel a long ways home, or to another computer so's they can log the drop.