New CO cache/hide opinions?

That all makes perfect sense to me. Since the difficulty and terrain rating are 100% objective with NO types of guidelines to follow. (At least none that I have been able to find on geocaching.com) It is hard to determine what is the appropriate difficulty and terrain rating to put.

I say that.. because what seems easy for me, is difficult for others, as well as some being easy for others that I find difficult! Same thing goes for terrain. I have climbed many a mountains. So what is easy for me is obviously more difficult for others.

The geocaching.com site points to the following rating suggestions http://www.clayjar.com/gcrs/

When you create the entries for your caches, on the "Report/Edit a Cache Listing" page, right next to where you select the difficulty and terrain ratings, you'll find that link.

Thanks... Someone gave me the link to that earlier. Although you have now told me where it is on the cache page!. DUH.... guess if it was a snake it would have bit me!

Anyways thanks for pointing that out to me. I appreciate it very much. That will make it so much easier for me to decide how to rate my caches. I see that it isn't quite perfect. But it is a huge help.

TGC

Yeah, changing to a note really isn't changing much. The point is to leave the outside stuff outside of geocaching.

Playing Devils Advocate for a moment.

The disparaging remarks about the certain bank isn't really all that different than anyone who adds a bible verse on a page, cache log, or signature. IMHO

Did I say that bible quotes, or those from any other holy book, belong on a cache page or in a log?

Yeah, changing to a note really isn't changing much. The point is to leave the outside stuff outside of geocaching.

The disparaging remarks about the certain bank isn't really all that different than anyone who adds a bible verse on a page, cache log, or signature. IMHO

Did I say that bible quotes, or those from any other holy book, belong on a cache page or in a log?

No no no.....

Your comment was just closest to the end of a list of comments.

It was not directed at you, personally. I just didn't want to add 5 different quotes.

I was not implying, in any way, that you were advocating any agenda, religious or otherwise.

No no no.....

It was not directed at you, personally. I just didn't want to add 5 different quotes.

I was not implying, in any way, that you were advocating any agenda, religious or otherwise.

Shucks, caught in the crossfire again. :):P

No no no.....

Shucks, caught in the crossfire again. :):P

You'll live :D

I don't know what the soapbox issue is but i will reply to the OP.

I'm not really sure what you are wanting us to comment about.

I do not view DNF's as a bad thing. I strive for them. In my mind you have done well if you get DNF's. Of course you do need to rate them appropriately.

Since you are new and already hiding caches please make sure that they are adequate. Moisture proof containers is the biggest thing. Don't hide a cache in a deli tub that your ham salad came in last week. :P (It's been done.)

The thing is being that I have been in Search & Rescue and have been a very "outdoors" type of person for many years, proper containers is something I know very well about.

Hey Chef, I noticed you don't mention the container types on your cache pages. What kind of containers are you using?

Not for sure I understand your question?

Up top I state what size they are. Micro, Small, Regular, Large.

Or are you asking what the containers actually are?

Well for waypoints I use laminated cards. All are about Double the size of postage stamp. I have one .30 ammo can covered in black tape. I have 2 waterproof containers similar to the otter box's &/or pelican waterproof boxes. About the size of a stack of 10 CD/DVD's. I have one that is a large spice bottle, and 3 that are large perscription bottles that you get from mail order pharmacies.

In the Ammo can I have replaced the rubber gaskets with new, & everything that needs protection from water is in another waterproof container thats similar to the otter/pelican boxes. The spice container I made waterproof by installing a rubber gasket. The perscription bottles were allready waterproof. But to make sure they really were. I tested them by submersing them in 2 feet of water for 30 min. Everything remained dry. The waterproof boxes are of course waterproof so they needed no improving.

TGC

Ammo cans & Otter Boxes. Gotta love 'em!! :P Hard to beat those. Here in Florida, with our high humidity, spice bottles, and/or prescription bottles, even with an added gasket, do not repel ground vapors. Back when I started moisture resistance testing, I discovered something rather odd. Containers that withstood depths which they would never see in the wilds, with no leakage at all, accumulated moisture inside when laid on the ground for a couple months in my yard. Not really sure why that was, but the pattern repeated itself often enough that I quit relying on submersion as a means of testing containers. My current testing method involves a stand of pine trees out front. I stuff in a bunch of tissue paper, then plop the container(s) amongst the pine needles for three months, letting Momma Nature do her best. When I find tissue that appears to have suffered from moisture, I know the container is inadequate for this climate.

IMO, you haven't found enough caches to have 6 hides...but that's just my opinion. :blink:

And just what is the corrct ratio that you have set for everyone?? Is it 50 finds before a hide?? Or 100? Or is it some type of percentage....say always maintain your find/hide percentage at 5%? Or does it have to do with a certain time period....say find for 3 months before you hide, or is it 6 months, or perhap 1 year? And where are these rules written down? Or did you just make them up on your own?

Remember one thing.....if new geo'ers (like me) were required to wait before hiding, there would be LOTS less undiscovered caches out there for YOU to add to your stats......but that's just my opinion. :D

Agreed....and it's in every single cache as a note. That's an agenda trying to find a way to work around the no-agenda rules. If I LOVED that bank & made it a point to add a note to every one of my caches, along the lines of, "This bank treats me so well. I advise everyone to do business with them", that would also be an agenda, promotion, advertising, whatever you want to call it. And there's no need for it to be on a site devoted to geocaching.

IMO, you haven't found enough caches to have 6 hides...but that's just my opinion. :blink:

And just what is the corrct ratio that you have set for everyone?? Is it 50 finds before a hide?? Or 100? Or is it some type of percentage....say always maintain your find/hide percentage at 5%? Or does it have to do with a certain time period....say find for 3 months before you hide, or is it 6 months, or perhap 1 year? And where are these rules written down? Or did you just make them up on your own?

Remember one thing.....if new geo'ers (like me) were required to wait before hiding, there would be LOTS less undiscovered caches out there for YOU to add to your stats......but that's just my opinion. :D

Where did anyone say there was a rule? I think that the part that is important to remember from that post is "but that's just my opinion".

Agreed....and it's in every single cache as a note. That's an agenda trying to find a way to work around the no-agenda rules. If I LOVED that bank & made it a point to add a note to every one of my caches, along the lines of, "This bank treats me so well. I advise everyone to do business with them", that would also be an agenda, promotion, advertising, whatever you want to call it. And there's no need for it to be on a site devoted to geocaching.

I wonder if the OP would delete my log if I posted a note to his cache saying that I thought that bank was the best bank ever?

I am just curious to get peoples opinions of various aspects of my hides. (Based on what you read on the cache page & who has logged the finds/dnf's for them) One example is someone with over 10,000 finds logging a dnf for my cache where someone as new to geocaching as I am didn't have any issues finding my cache.

Based on this comment alone, now I would not feel comfortable searching for your caches if I lived in your area. I wouldn't want to be held to a higher standard or compared to others except in the vaguest sense based on my number of finds. Granted, we will never have anything near to 10,000 finds, but we have been on the receiving end of the snide "Gee, the Whistlers couldn't find it but so-and-so did?" and it's not fun. If someone wants to say that to me in person, fine...I'll ask them for a hint! But to post that in a cache log or on a forum is not called for. Maybe the person with the 10,000 finds was pressed for time, or didn't feel well, or lost his/her glasses, or got a phone call and had to leave, or had to pee so didn't search thoroughly, or whatever. It was nice of them to post the DNF so you know someone had an interest in your cache. Even inexperienced cachers get lucky, and even experienced cachers have off days...it's no big deal!

As for the caches themselves...they look fine to me. I can't see any glaring reason why anyone in particular except bank employees would avoid them.

Finds shouldn't have anything to do with number of hides.

There are people with thousands of hides who's hides stink, yet there are some hiders who have very few, some even one or two finds, and their hides are awesome and some of the most highly acclaimed hides in the state.

Sometimes those with lots of hides/finds doesn't care about their hides and just drops containers wherever and doesn't take the time to do it right and get good readings and things like that, whereas someone newer will take time to make sure things are done right.

I am also an advocate of getting finds under your belt before you start hiding. While it's true that some really prolific cachers are capable of hiding crappy caches, it's my belief that this is the exception, not the rule. Most folks who are capable of operating a GPSr have the ability to utilize that greatest of all teachers, individual experience. Someone with 1 find has less experience than someone with 100 finds. A person who has never found a film canister hidden in a humid environment, might actually think they make decent containers. The same holds true for Altoids tins, Gladware, etc.

Is there some magic number of hides one should have before attempting their first hide? Of course not. On many occasions, I have had newcomers ask me when they should start hiding caches, and my initial answer will fall along the lines of, "When you think you can do it successfully", knowing how a failed hide can impact someone who is just getting started. I then suggest that they pick an arbitrary number of finds as a goal to reach, before they start hiding, so they can better understand what works and what does not work, out in the field. If pressed, I will suggest 100, however I recognize that that number is no more magical or relevant than 73, or 68. (The number 42, of course, deserves its own thread)

It should be noted that this advice is never given unsolicited.

Ammo cans & Otter Boxes. Gotta love 'em!! :blink: Hard to beat those. Here in Florida, with our high humidity, spice bottles, and/or prescription bottles, even with an added gasket, do not repel ground vapors. Back when I started moisture resistance testing, I discovered something rather odd. Containers that withstood depths which they would never see in the wilds, with no leakage at all, accumulated moisture inside when laid on the ground for a couple months in my yard. Not really sure why that was, but the pattern repeated itself often enough that I quit relying on submersion as a means of testing containers. My current testing method involves a stand of pine trees out front. I stuff in a bunch of tissue paper, then plop the container(s) amongst the pine needles for three months, letting Momma Nature do her best. When I find tissue that appears to have suffered from moisture, I know the container is inadequate for this climate.

Depending on the humidity when the container was last opened. Laying any airtight, watertight container on the ground can create CONDENSATION to result. So those containers that accumulated the moisture inside was a result of that CONDENSATION. There really isn't to much you can do about condensation. I have found the more "Insulated" a container is the less problem you will have with condensation. Size doesn't seem to make a difference as I have a waterproof container that has 4 cubic feet inside. Sometimes the condensation inside it can get pretty bad as well.

If you live in a very humid climate area I would recomend getting "moisture absorbing" packets. Otherwise known as "Desiccants". I am sure you have seen these. They come packed with most electronic items, as well as alot of perscription drugs. You can get a bunch of them for a very affordable price from http://www.uline.com. I have found they work GREAT wonders at keeping down condensation & other moisture issues. They do work.

If you only have a FEW micro &/or small caches to work with, I would SAVE the ones you get when you get your mail order perscriptions filled &/or buy new electronics!

TGC

Based on this comment alone, now I would not feel comfortable searching for your caches if I lived in your area. I wouldn't want to be held to a higher standard or compared to others except in the vaguest sense based on my number of finds. Granted, we will never have anything near to 10,000 finds, but we have been on the receiving end of the snide "Gee, the Whistlers couldn't find it but so-and-so did?" and it's not fun. If someone wants to say that to me in person, fine...I'll ask them for a hint! But to post that in a cache log or on a forum is not called for. Maybe the person with the 10,000 finds was pressed for time, or didn't feel well, or lost his/her glasses, or got a phone call and had to leave, or had to pee so didn't search thoroughly, or whatever. It was nice of them to post the DNF so you know someone had an interest in your cache. Even inexperienced cachers get lucky, and even experienced cachers have off days...it's no big deal!

As for the caches themselves...they look fine to me. I can't see any glaring reason why anyone in particular except bank employees would avoid them.

I didn't make that statement out of any disrespect for the geocacher with 10,000+ finds. I wasn't passing judgement on that person. Being new, I was just curious about it, as I was thinking that maybe there was something wrong with my cache/hide or something, being new at this.

As far as being held to a standard or compared to others. We all do it, weather we want to or not. There was one person in this thread that with their opinion that I shouldn't be placing any cache/hides yet as I haven't had enough "Finds" yet. That is obviously showing a standard level and being compared.

TGC

IMO, you haven't found enough caches to have 6 hides...but that's just my opinion. :)

There are people with thousands of hides who's hides stink, yet there are some hiders who have very few, some even one or two finds, and their hides are awesome and some of the most highly acclaimed hides in the state.

Sometimes those with lots of hides/finds doesn't care about their hides and just drops containers wherever and doesn't take the time to do it right and get good readings and things like that, whereas someone newer will take time to make sure things are done right.

Completely agree. Finding & hiding are 2 compltely different things. You can be good at both, horrible at both, or good at one & horrible at the other....regardless of how much experience you have with either. I too have saw horrible hides from experienced finders & excellent hides from brand newbies....so it's not quite the exception to the rule which some try to claim.

GET OUT THERE & HIDE US SOME GEOCACHES!!! :D

Doesnt matter how many finds you have. There's plenty of people who want to look for them & plenty of areas which are cacheless. Remember, "If you hide it, they will come"....words to live by, and they say nothing about FINDING.

To the OP, well, you asked for comments on your caches and for what its worth, here are my two cents.

Personally, I don't give a rats hind end what you write on your log. Obviously you have a personal vendetta against this particular bank, but what you have to say about it is, to me, irrevelant and no different than some of the other silly stuff I have read on log pages. Jean Renoir said that "everyone has their reasons". I assume you do too. That you choose to advertise your private business on such a public forum seems a bit odd, but, hey who am I to throw stones.

As to your caches: The only one I would be likely to seek out would be the recipe one. You simply don't give me enough information in your other listings to make them interesting to me. I know nothing about where you live or even very much about your state. Imagine that someday I get to come and visit your community for a day or so. I bring my gps and my field notes with caches I think would be interesting and fun to find. When jotting down my "must find" notes, I would most certainly pass yours by. Why? Because your listings are boring and they give me absoutely no information about what might make your cache sites unique or exciting. Oh, the cache is on a trail in a park in your town? Big deal. Is there a view, a cool tree, a beautiful creek, an historic marker? Geeze, throw me a bone here! Give me a reason to care. Caches are like books to me. I only have so many hours left on this earth. I can only read so many books and visit so many caches. If your book is dull, I won't bother to read it after the first page, and the same goes for geocache listings. Please don't take this as being mean spirited, I mean what I say with the best intentions. I wish you good luck with your caches and hope they do well for you.

IMO, you haven't found enough caches to have 6 hides...but that's just my opinion. :)

I'm still a noob. I know it takes experience to be a good cache-finder, but who's to say who can and can't hide something? I think as long as it's out of the way of too many muggles and doesn't damage the environment a noob should be able to enjoy hiding too.

hate to say, but I have to agree with this.

The more I find the more I learn.

Maybe a newbie might hide one and then wait to learn more. I was just telling my geopartner how much more i know now then 300 finds ago (i've not been around long either) and was wondering all I had to learn in the next 600 finds.

Edited by Sol seaker

As far as posting one's personal business in one's cache listings,

It rubs me almost as bad as the people who put political statements in their forums signatures.

This is a game. Keep it light. :)

Surprised you haven't been sued for slander actually.

and as far as "asking for help" on your caches, we know you were just looking for more audience for your political agenda. I'm with those who reported it.

And just moving the statement to the logs section doesn't do it for me.

This is not your soapbox.

As to your caches: The only one I would be likely to seek out would be the recipe one. You simply don't give me enough information in your other listings to make them interesting to me. I know nothing about where you live or even very much about your state. Imagine that someday I get to come and visit your community for a day or so. I bring my gps and my field notes with caches I think would be interesting and fun to find. When jotting down my "must find" notes, I would most certainly pass yours by. Why? Because your listings are boring and they give me absoutely no information about what might make your cache sites unique or exciting. Oh, the cache is on a trail in a park in your town? Big deal. Is there a view, a cool tree, a beautiful creek, an historic marker? Geeze, throw me a bone here! Give me a reason to care. Caches are like books to me. I only have so many hours left on this earth. I can only read so many books and visit so many caches. If your book is dull, I won't bother to read it after the first page, and the same goes for geocache listings. Please don't take this as being mean spirited, I mean what I say with the best intentions. I wish you good luck with your caches and hope they do well for you.

That was actually quite insightful and helpfull. I have to agree that descriptions for my cache/hides aren't quite as informative nor are they that interesting to read. I simply stated basic facts about a few things & left it at that. I am always concerned about writing to much and giving away HINTS that might take some of the excitement out of the "Hunt". Personally... I love some of the surprises I get by a "Hunt" & usually don't read much on a cache page for fear of obtaining to much information. I don't even like to know WHAT TYPE of container I am searching for or even the size of the container. (Unless I have a DNF for that cache allready) Guess it's similar to when I was working search and rescue and would get very basic information about who we were searching for, or even in a few cases we never had an idea at all & had to determine that based on the equipment left at the 'Primitive' campsite of the missing people.

I however... will work on editing my cache pages to make them more interesting without giving away additional hints.

Again thanks for that insightful advice. I do apreciate it very much.

TGC

I however... will work on editing my cache pages to make them more interesting

Just some friendly advice. I'll never search for one f your caches for one reason....they are too far away. But several people have given you a VERY direct hint as to a VERY simple way to improve your listings. But you seem to not be picking up on it.

Keep the non-geo-related stuff out of the game & you'll be guarenteed to see more interest in your hides. We don't do this sport to remember all the troubles in the "outside" world, the one we all see every day in our non-geo'ing time....we do it because it's relaxing & allows us to have fun and forget about the stuff like that.

You're being given a BIG piece of advice by fellow geo'ers concerning your cache listings. You seem to want that, because you ask for opinions. But only time will tell whether you are interested in following that advice.

Just some friendly advice. I'll never search for one f your caches for one reason....they are too far away. But several people have given you a VERY direct hint as to a VERY simple way to improve your listings. But you seem to not be picking up on it.

Keep the non-geo-related stuff out of the game & you'll be guarenteed to see more interest in your hides. We don't do this sport to remember all the troubles in the "outside" world, the one we all see every day in our non-geo'ing time....we do it because it's relaxing & allows us to have fun and forget about the stuff like that.

You're being given a BIG piece of advice by fellow geo'ers concerning your cache listings. You seem to want that, because you ask for opinions. But only time will tell whether you are interested in following that advice.

I think I have to agree. Geocaching should be an agenda free activity. Whether cache descriptions, cache logs, caches in general, or forum signatures, there should be no agenda.

I saw a long time cachers signature today and couldn't help but wonder why he would feel the need to publicize his political beliefs on a geocaching forum.

Oh well... whatcha gonna do. Boycott their hides is about all you can do.

I think I have to agree. Geocaching should be an agenda free activity. Whether cache descriptions, cache logs, caches in general, or forum signatures, there should be no agenda.

I saw a long time cachers signature today and couldn't help but wonder why he would feel the need to publicize his political beliefs on a geocaching forum.

Oh well... whatcha gonna do. Boycott their hides is about all you can do.

I have kept quiet on the subject that most everyone here has made some form of comment on, one way or the other. But after this... I can no longer hold my tounge.

No one is ever 100% agenda free. Everyone has some form of cause that thier "Aura" secretly pushes. It can be in the "Username" you choose, to what, when, where, why & how you make comments AND logs.

So basically what your trying to say... is that the ONLY agenda geocaching should push is the agenda of geocaching subjects. Yet, many geocaches/pages and geocachers have an agenda that pushes any of the following:

1. Math (as their are many cache hides that require you to have at least basic math knowledge. Even one of my requires that)

2. Pushes the agenda of being "Enviromental Friendly". Not that it is a bad thing. But it is still an agenda.

3. The agenda of making use of your City, State & National Park system

4. Any cache/hide placed anywhere near a business &/or church, or other orginization SUBLIMALLY advirtises that place of business or orginization. SUBLIMAL messages are again'st the law when they are put into movies & other TV shows. (Certain types (but not all) that is). I'm not saying that cache/hides shouldn't be on church property, or on business property. Just making a point that those that ARE on property like that ARE in fact sublimally pushing an Agenda.

Now as I have said... I have REMOVED them from my Cache/hide pages. Yes, I put it in my log. But what I said in my log was simply "WHAT" I had just removed from the cache/hide pages, the logs will eventually scroll down and be unseen unless you view the entire log list. Just like a magazine where you don't want to read a certain ad, you can flip the page and not read it.

Here is another point... if we want to be 100% agenda free.... with NO soliciting, or commercial purposes. Then "SWAG" with advirtising shouldn't be allowed. Such as Pen/Pencils with buisness/orginization logo's on them. Gift cards, Buisness cards, The list goes on. What about travel bugs attached to "Promotional Items"?? What about the "VEHICLE" travel bugs attached to COMMERCIAL VEHICLES???

Im sorry but if you really think anyone here is agenda free your sadly mistaken.

One other point to make.... the geocaching.com regulations don't say anything about "Agendas" other than soliciting for commercial reasons FOR a buisness, political, religous reasons. A Loop hole that if it were in fact a written law would NOT stand up in a court of law in regards to my statement about the bank.

But like I said it has been removed... again the only reason it's in the LOG is I was stating WHAT exactly had been REMOVED from the cache pages.

BTW-FYI.... the reviewer PUBLISHED my cache/hides WITH the statment in place on all 6 of my caches. AND No one complained about my cache pages UNTIL I asked for an opinion. The opinions I had originally asked for had nothing to do with my statement/agenda that I had made.

But whatever....So be it...

TGC

I am just curious to get peoples opinions of various aspects of my hides. (Based on what you read on the cache page & who has logged the finds/dnf's for them)

Aren't these your words? Don't they ask for opinions on the various aspects of your hides? Are we not instructed to base these opinions on what we read on your cache page?

My opinion is that your continued use of your cache pages to further your agenda against this bank is rather distasteful. But as I said, that is my opinion. If you don't want opinions that may differ from your own perhaps you should not ask for them.Then again that is also just my opinion.

I am just curious to get peoples opinions of various aspects of my hides. (Based on what you read on the cache page & who has logged the finds/dnf's for them)

Aren't these your words? Don't they ask for opinions on the various aspects of your hides? Are we not instructed to base these opinions on what we read on your cache page?

My opinion is that your continued use of your cache pages to further your agenda against this bank is rather distasteful. But as I said, that is my opinion. If you don't want opinions that may differ from your own perhaps you should not ask for them.Then again that is also just my opinion.

Yes, but is it really any different than a member, say Kit Fox for instance, using every post in the forum to publicize his hatred of the current President of the United States?

I don't think either instance should be allowed, or all should be allowed.

JMO

Yes, but is it really any different than a member, say Kit Fox for instance, using every post in the forum to publicize his hatred of the current President of the United States?

JMO

Would you please STOP THAT? I HATE agreeing with you!!! :huh:

JMO

This OP asked for criticism and then was upset when he got it. Oh well. Perhaps others will read this thread and leave their agendas at home to.

No one is ever 100% agenda free. Everyone has some form of cause that thier "Aura" secretly pushes. It can be in the "Username" you choose, to what, when, where, why & how you make comments AND logs.

Yes, I admit it, we have a secret agenda promoting whistling as a form of recreation.

OR

There were a bunch of guys at my husband's job with the same first name and they all got nicknames...his was "Whistler" because he often whistled as he went about his tasks.

So basically what your trying to say... is that the ONLY agenda geocaching should push is the agenda of geocaching subjects.

Yeah, pretty much.

Yet, many geocaches/pages and geocachers have an agenda that pushes any of the following:

1. Math (as their are many cache hides that require you to have at least basic math knowledge. Even one of my requires that)

You found us out...the Secret Agendaists for the Promotion of Math Literacy and Usage. Darn...now we'll have to go underground for another twenty years or so.

2. Pushes the agenda of being "Enviromental Friendly". Not that it is a bad thing. But it is still an agenda.

Since geocaching takes place in the natural environment, it would seem like this is an "agenda" that we can all agree on. Since we all live in the earth's environment, it would seem like this is an "agenda" we all better agree on!

This is not an agenda. The cache must, by default and according to the laws of physics (ha...bet you didn't think I could work my affiliation with the Secret Agendaists for the Promotion of Known and Unknown Physical Laws Governing the Universe into this post!), exist somewhere.

4. Any cache/hide placed anywhere near a business &/or church, or other orginization SUBLIMALLY advirtises that place of business or orginization. SUBLIMAL messages are again'st the law when they are put into movies & other TV shows. (Certain types (but not all) that is). I'm not saying that cache/hides shouldn't be on church property, or on business property. Just making a point that those that ARE on property like that ARE in fact sublimally pushing an Agenda.

Please read the definition of subliminally before you assert this. Unless one is nearly comatose, a cache placed at a shopping center, church, restaurant, etc. is not subliminally doing anything...one ought to be well aware of one's surroundings on a conscious level for safety's sake!

Here is another point... if we want to be 100% agenda free.... with NO soliciting, or commercial purposes. Then "SWAG" with advirtising shouldn't be allowed. Such as Pen/Pencils with buisness/orginization logo's on them. Gift cards, Buisness cards, The list goes on. What about travel bugs attached to "Promotional Items"?? What about the "VEHICLE" travel bugs attached to COMMERCIAL VEHICLES???

Hey, a free pen is a free pen is a free pen...I don't care what it says on it!

One other point to make.... the geocaching.com regulations don't say anything about "Agendas" other than soliciting for commercial reasons FOR a buisness, political, religous reasons. A Loop hole that if it were in fact a written law would NOT stand up in a court of law in regards to my statement about the bank.

Your degree in contract law has served you well. Perhaps Groundspeak ought to reword the guidelines to say "Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for or against religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda." You win on this point.

Edited by whistler & co.

I have kept quiet on the subject that most everyone here has made some form of comment on, one way or the other. But after this... I can no longer hold my tounge.

So basically what your trying to say... is that the ONLY agenda geocaching should push is the agenda of geocaching subjects. Yet, many geocaches/pages and geocachers have an agenda that pushes any of the following:

Now as I have said... I have REMOVED them from my Cache/hide pages. Yes, I put it in my log. But what I said in my log was simply "WHAT" I had just removed from the cache/hide pages, the logs will eventually scroll down and be unseen unless you view the entire log list. Just like a magazine where you don't want to read a certain ad, you can flip the page and not read it.

Im sorry but if you really think anyone here is agenda free your sadly mistaken.

But like I said it has been removed... again the only reason it's in the LOG is I was stating WHAT exactly had been REMOVED from the cache pages.

BTW-FYI.... the reviewer PUBLISHED my cache/hides WITH the statment in place on all 6 of my caches. AND No one complained about my cache pages UNTIL I asked for an opinion. The opinions I had originally asked for had nothing to do with my statement/agenda that I had made.

But whatever....So be it...

I realize that this post was done tongue in cheek. However for those that may not get the subtle humor.....

I could really not care any less whether you promote an agenda or not with your cache, posting, swag, etc. I am an adult and not as easily influenced as some seem to be worried about. I however do not make those decisions. Groundspeak has decided they do not want agendas other than those that they specifically approve. That is their right, this is their site.

If we were to expect them in their guidelines to cover every foreseeable instance of agenda and in minutia list everything out, the guidelines would be 100's if not 1000's of pages long.

Instead, they feel we are smart enough to log into the internet, program a GPSr and fill out a log/cache submission, surely we must have enough common sense to recognize a agenda or one that would be perceived to be one. In the rare instances that someone does not, they expect we won't go running to a reviewer like a 4 year old however instead handle among ourselves by pointing it out to the CO through our logs or email. This is called self policing. Then, in the even rarer instance that it can not be resolved, getting a volunteer involved.

The guidelines are just that, guidelines. Not intended to be all inclusive. Frankly, I think there are too many guidelines now, many redundant, because people want to play this hobby game rather than enjoy it.

The CO asked for an opinion. I believe he did so without an agenda. If he did, the error of his ways have been soundly pointed out to him. Someone even decided to go whining to the reviewer rather than make the suggestion first to the CO on one of the caches, inappropriate especially in light of the CO requesting suggestion.

Don't use agendas. If you find one, contact the CO and let them know so it can be corrected. It can't get much more simple.

This OP asked for criticism and then was upset when he got it. Oh well. Perhaps others will read this thread and leave their agendas at home to.

Who said I was upset? You know what happens when you assume....

1. In my last post I was just stating my POV in regards to my so called "agenda" statement.

2. I had clearly stated that my "agenda" statement had been removed from my cache pages. As far as the log goes. all I was stating is WHAT I had actually REMOVED from my cache pages because BEFORE I did that I recieved several emails asking WHAT I removed. Therefore the log only states WHAT I had removed.

3. No where did I make a post as to making any complaint what so ever about removing it from my cache page. I had it removed within 24 hours of even the first person making the very first comment about it.

4. I refrained from making any comment or statement about removing the "Agenda" in question because it honestly really wasn't that big a deal to remove it. I don't agree as to why it should be removed. I personally feel like it's just a bunch of hypocritical BS. Just like many rules I have had to follow before I retired and was employed by various different employers. Many rules I had to follow were BS, but sometimes you have to put up with BS to keep those in "power" happy.

5. I finanlly only made comment about this issue once a few people I thought made very illogical reasons as to posting an agenda. Again I will state.... No one here is absent from pushing an agenda of some sort in one way or the other on geocaching.com

Since... Most (but not all) people seem to have complained only about that "agenda" statement and made no other comment about my cache pages I guess I should assume they didn't have any issues regarding the rest of my cache/hide &/or page? I hate to assume though.

A few people were nice enough to make comments, suggestions & advice regarding my cache/hides asside from the "agenda" statement. I found those comments to be very helpfull things to consider.

The offending "agenda" in question has in fact been removed as far as geocaching.com & the reviewers don't have a problem with it being in the logs BECAUSE of the way it is stated.

TGC

Who said I was upset? You know what happens when you assume....

1. In my last post I was just stating my POV in regards to my so called "agenda" statement.

2. I had clearly stated that my "agenda" statement had been removed from my cache pages. As far as the log goes. all I was stating is WHAT I had actually REMOVED from my cache pages because BEFORE I did that I recieved several emails asking WHAT I removed. Therefore the log only states WHAT I had removed.

3. No where did I make a post as to making any complaint what so ever about removing it from my cache page. I had it removed within 24 hours of even the first person making the very first comment about it.

4. I refrained from making any comment or statement about removing the "Agenda" in question because it honestly really wasn't that big a deal to remove it. I don't agree as to why it should be removed. I personally feel like it's just a bunch of hypocritical BS. Just like many rules I have had to follow before I retired and was employed by various different employers. Many rules I had to follow were BS, but sometimes you have to put up with BS to keep those in "power" happy.

5. I finanlly only made comment about this issue once a few people I thought made very illogical reasons as to posting an agenda. Again I will state.... No one here is absent from pushing an agenda of some sort in one way or the other on geocaching.com

Since... Most (but not all) people seem to have complained only about that "agenda" statement and made no other comment about my cache pages I guess I should assume they didn't have any issues regarding the rest of my cache/hide &/or page? I hate to assume though.

A few people were nice enough to make comments, suggestions & advice regarding my cache/hides asside from the "agenda" statement. I found those comments to be very helpfull things to consider.

The offending "agenda" in question has in fact been removed as far as geocaching.com & the reviewers don't have a problem with it being in the logs BECAUSE of the way it is stated.

TGC

I will give feedback. Other than the agenda, your cache pages looked OK to me.

They do NOT look OK with the agenda still posted in the logs.

AND, as far as I know, there isn't any indication to anyone that you removed text unless you make a point to point it out.

AND, if someone did ask why you updated the cache description, you could simply reply "it wasn't anything that changed the cache at all" but you know you were still trying to keep your agenda message in there. No matter what you say, you KNOW the truth.

This is NOT the place for you to post your opinions about business dealings, right or wrong, either on the cache page, or in the logs. If you have a problem with the business, deal with it in the proper manner. I can't believe that this has gone onto the 2nd page!

Better watch out, you are agreeing with me again.

:D

The Secret Agendaists for the Promotion of Math Literacy and Usage

Sorry, but I must insist that you change the name of your organization post haste.

Any organization whose name can't be expressed as a witty acronym is doomed to failure.

SAPMLU? Doomed, I tell ya!

My, my, my...how right you are! Henceforth we shall be known as the Secret Agendaists for the Promotion of Math Usage and Literacy. SAPMUL has a much better ring to it!