PN-40 - Map help

I bought a PN-40 over the weekend and so far we love it. already found 3 caches! I thought I had loaded the topo map of my area onto it, but I think I'm only looking at the basemap? What is the trick to looking at different maps of the same area? Also if I edit the comments of a cache, can I then upload those directly so I don't have to find that one again in www.geocaching.com ? Or are those editing notes just for me to see that I found it or not later?

What is the difference between loading the maps to the Memory card vs the internal memory? any advantage to either? and how do I remove maps? etc?

Thanks!!!

Also if I edit the comments of a cache, can I then upload those directly so I don't have to find that one again in www.geocaching.com ? Or are those editing notes just for me to see that I found it or not later?

What is the difference between loading the maps to the Memory card vs the internal memory? any advantage to either? and how do I remove maps? etc?

I hope that the wiki TotemLake directed you to will answer most of your map questions--ask away if there's something specific you're wondering about.

As to these other questions, you cannot upload cache comments, but if you have the latest firmware you can create field notes when you find a cache that you can upload later to gc.com to log your finds there.

There was an advantage to running maps in internal memory on the PN-20 because they loaded faster, but the difference on the PN-40 is very slight if anything. Because it's faster to transfer maps to SD memory than internal, you probably would be best off starting there. I ended up using internal memory for my immediate area--the maps I use most frequently--while using the SD card for my extended area and "temporary" map files.

If you end up using the Navionics inland waters maps, you have to use their SD card--requiring you to use internal memory for any additional maps you may want to use.

Also if I edit the comments of a cache, can I then upload those directly so I don't have to find that one again in www.geocaching.com ? Or are those editing notes just for me to see that I found it or not later?

I hope that the wiki TotemLake directed you to will answer most of your map questions--ask away if there's something specific you're wondering about.

As to these other questions, you cannot upload cache comments, but if you have the latest firmware you can create field notes when you find a cache that you can upload later to gc.com to log your finds there.

There was an advantage to running maps in internal memory on the PN-20 because they loaded faster, but the difference on the PN-40 is very slight if anything. Because it's faster to transfer maps to SD memory than internal, you probably would be best off starting there. I ended up using internal memory for my immediate area--the maps I use most frequently--while using the SD card for my extended area and "temporary" map files.

If you end up using the Navionics inland waters maps, you have to use their SD card--requiring you to use internal memory for any additional maps you may want to use.

Thanks. I'll keep playing with it. Lots to learn!!! 4 caches found already!!! How did we not know about this years ago. Amazing free fun once you have the GPS...