SO new it is embarrassing

luvmydoodles

background info - just bought a used iPhone, still new to it, downloaded the geo program. I found some sites in my area (from my phone in the house office) and when i went to them i could not log in. Question - do i need internet access to get the info or does the GPS run on its own without the need to be online. There is a cache by a Starbucks, looked up everything then when i was in the parking lot could not get the geo program to work....Any help is much appreciated, please feel free to snicker at the post as i am post surgery medicated!! :D

You need internet access for the program to be able to download data. It's not stored unless you choose to save them for offline use.

With the newest version of the Geocaching application, you can download your latest Pocket Queries, so that's the best way to get the data off-line.

Note that the GPS is separate and doesn't require data. But maps will require data.

As an aside, do they allow an iPhone to be activated without a data plan? Or were you just outside of a service area?

i bought it on eBay unlocked and put my T Mobile sim card in and it fired up fine. I have the internet package with T Mobile and have been on line with the phone this weekend. This cache is right by a Starbucks which has Wi Fi, I had WI FI signal strength but could not get into the geo program wasnt sure if it was my phone, internet settings, GPS or what....

You need internet access for the program to be able to download data. It's not stored unless you choose to save them for offline use.

With the newest version of the Geocaching application, you can download your latest Pocket Queries, so that's the best way to get the data off-line.

Note that the GPS is separate and doesn't require data. But maps will require data.

As an aside, do they allow an iPhone to be activated without a data plan? Or were you just outside of a service area?

The data plan is mandatory. All of the apps that run on an iPhone must be downloaded using iTunes...which requires the data plan.

Something that I have noticed is that when using the "Find Nearby Caches" item, sometimes I have to select it several times before it downloads the information for the nearests caches. Sometimes it returns immediately with a "No caches Available" (or something similar) and other times it returns with a message that indicates it can't get a data connection.

You also need to make sure that "Location Services" are turned on using the "Settings" application.

[You also need to make sure that "Location Services" are turned on using the "Settings" application.

I'm in settings - i see separate boxes

1. Geocaching

2. Saved Filed Notes

3. Search Filters

4. Returned results

5. Units

6.Map sources

where is "location Services" located?

I did learn this am that My iPhone does not have 3G capability due to it being a TMobile account but i do have internet access...i just need to figure out how to get the GPS part to work...any thoughts anyone?