LAME cache swag

My little guy has a couple of sets of flash cards bought at the dollar store. There is a set for insects, one for astronomical objects, one for states of the union, etc. Each pack cost a buck, and each card gives information on boll weevils, the Milky Way, Vermont, etc. Good useful information. When I cache by myself, I sign the log and be on my way. When my son (he's 4) goes with me and finds something he might want to keep, he leaves one of these info cards. I figured they might be of interest to the type of kid that would go caching.

Yeah? Sound good?

I'm not a parent, but I would think kids would like that, and the parents would like it for them. Certainly better than the stick I found in a cache on Sunday. We're doing a lot of TNLN too. Nothin' to trade for! Apparently Vater is correct. (p.s. Thanks, Vater, for taking the time to answer. To us, a reply is more appreciated than good grammar and spelling.)

The S stands for SUPER!

DA DA DA DAAAAA Its SuperBell111! Saving the world on dropped letter at a time.

I dropped an e, wanna point it out?

Get petty much?

Oh wait, I sorry, you could have meant "me also" but I know your style well enough to say I'm lying about being sorry.

More errors for ya ta point out. :sad:

:signalviolin:

I'm amused that you go on and on about the things that bug you, but then get all offended when I comment on one of the things that bugs me. You are allowed to be petty all day long, but no one else is.

Edited by sbell111

In response to Desert Trailblazer’s post concerning the dollar store swag…

Over the last two days I hid my first two caches. They are pretty easy hides, so they can be found with little cachers and I included lots of swag. I spent over $20 in a dollar store purchasing swag and two FTF $5 gift cards. My hopes are for the FTF’ers to take the gift cards and purchase swag with them. When I can get my kids to go geocaching with me it is very disappointing to open the box and see the junk in there. My daughter told me once, that she isn’t giving up her “good junk, for that junk”.

I don’t have a problem with spending a few dollars on swag. My purchases were packages containing multiple toys, 3 plastic Frisbees, 6 pairs of dice, matchbox cars, play dough cutters, etc. Sure over time the cost will add up, but it will surely be cheaper than an evening at the movies. Click here! for a interesting break down of the cost of geocaching vs. going to the movies.

Bottom line: When I am alone or caching with adults, I sign the log and take nothing (one time I did trade a red carabineer for a yellow one... :signalviolin: ) I do clear out the junky swag and throw it away. When I cache with my kids, I make sure my swag bag is good to go, and I teach to my children to trade equally or up. I did put a statement in my descriptions to trade equally or up. I never really thought about somebody purposely cleaning out the swag just for spite because of my statement description. If that happens, I will replenish the cache and chalk up the experience to a life learning event.

My two cents…or in this case…2,000 cents.

Edited by Bosn Ski

Every time I find a container full of what I consider garbage swag, my six year old says, "OOOH daddy, look at that". Crap is truely in the eyes of the beholder. That said, it would have to have been a old hot wheels car with no wheels, and all rusty. Why would you spend the time to take a mile hike, and then leave that?

The S stands for SUPER!

Get petty much?

Oh wait, I sorry, you could have meant "me also" but I know your style well enough to say I'm lying about being sorry.

More errors for ya ta point out. :D

:sad:

I'm amused that you go on and on about the things that bug you, but then get all offended when I comment on one of the things that bugs me. You are allowed to be petty all day long, but no one else is.

Doncha think ita be a bit more appropriate in a thread about spelling? :signalviolin:

The S stands for SUPER!

Get petty much?

More errors for ya ta point out. :D

:sad:

Doncha think ita be a bit more appropriate in a thread about spelling? :signalviolin:
Sure, but it's not the first time that someone brought up their personal irritants in unrelated threads. It happens all day long.

Every time I find a container full of what I consider garbage swag, my six year old says, "OOOH daddy, look at that". Crap is truely in the eyes of the beholder. That said, it would have to have been a old hot wheels car with no wheels, and all rusty. Why would you spend the time to take a mile hike, and then leave that?

I just want to throw out a reminder that not all cachers are children. My husband and I are middle-aged and don't have kids. We do enjoy the hunt a lot, and freely admit that it is a major part of geocaching. However, I'm not ashamed to say that after spending an afternoon of caching, and carrying some cool stuff to trade, which includes stuff for adults (see my post above with list,) that I find it disappointing to find a cache with junk in it.

Maybe that makes me shallow, but I think it's unfair for anyone to judge another about their motives for playing the game. If you don't care about the trading aspect, fine. But, for us, the "treasure hunt" is also part of the game. The more caching we do (and we haven't done much yet, but so far haven't seen a single item worth swapping even a quarter for) the more discouraged we are becoming that the SWAG part of the game might as well not exist (except, maybe, for kids.) The guidelines clearly state to trade equally or up. I have read cache pages that contain a description of the fun SWAG that the CO left in the cache to start with. However, then we find it months later and not only does it only have junk in it, but often not even as many items as it started with. To take something and not even put something back in at all?! That's really inconsiderate and lowers the level of this game that is driven by the honor system.

I want to be careful not to generalize, and assume that all areas of the world, or all geocachers treat the SWAG with so little regard. But, to date, we are already finding that we should expect to be disappointed. If this is how it is going to be, the game might as well do away with SWAG altogether, and just become a game of finding a cache.

In response to Desert Trailblazer’s post concerning the dollar store swag…

Over the last two days I hid my first two caches. They are pretty easy hides, so they can be found with little cachers and I included lots of swag. I spent over $20 in a dollar store purchasing swag and two FTF $5 gift cards. My hopes are for the FTF’ers to take the gift cards and purchase swag with them. When I can get my kids to go geocaching with me it is very disappointing to open the box and see the junk in there. My daughter told me once, that she isn’t giving up her “good junk, for that junk”.

I don’t have a problem with spending a few dollars on swag. My purchases were packages containing multiple toys, 3 plastic Frisbees, 6 pairs of dice, matchbox cars, play dough cutters, etc. Sure over time the cost will add up, but it will surely be cheaper than an evening at the movies. Click here! for a interesting break down of the cost of geocaching vs. going to the movies.

Bottom line: When I am alone or caching with adults, I sign the log and take nothing (one time I did trade a red carabineer for a yellow one... :signalviolin: ) I do clear out the junky swag and throw it away. When I cache with my kids, I make sure my swag bag is good to go, and I teach to my children to trade equally or up. I did put a statement in my descriptions to trade equally or up. I never really thought about somebody purposely cleaning out the swag just for spite because of my statement description. If that happens, I will replenish the cache and chalk up the experience to a life learning event.

My two cents…or in this case…2,000 cents.

Good for you! Another really important comment that I keep forgetting to mention... We usually leave an item in a cache with junk in it, just so that the next person coming along will find something nice. My main point is, what ever happened to the old fashioned feeling of "it is better to give than to receive?"

Yes, I said we look forward to finding something fun when we reach a cache, but we have been just as much, if not more, excited to give something to the cache for the next person. Just like exchanging Christmas gifts, sure it is fun to open presents, but personally, I have a lot more enjoyment in the excitement of giving a gift to someone else. In a small and round-about way, isn't this the same sort of thing?

The more I think about this topic, and our experiences, the more disgusted I am becoming with the people who leave trash behind for the next person. This may sound harsh, but I am starting to feel that the people who don't follow the guidelines are inconsiderate and, yes, even selfish. There. I said it, and that's my two cents.

The first cache I found didn't have anything in it, so I left a dime just to be funny.

the second had things that I could not identify at all, the rest was pretty much junk. one was a broken piece of plastic from a CD player or something. there were these squarish wire things and a rock.

I didn't bring any trade with me because all I really care about is finding them.

One thing I don't like finding though is a huge longhorn bull between me and a cache. :(

I never put much thought into swag for adults. I havne't found a cache that had swag for adults...something to think about.

I think you bring up a good point, but maybe the Geocaching world should be thinking about this. As I said before, why bother with SWAG at all, if this is the case? I think the reply following yours is an example of an all-too-typical scenario. Is not leaving SWAG appropriate for an adult just a little exclusionary? Are we to be relagated to a niche in the game where half of the point of the game does not exist? To me there are two parts to the experience: the hunt, and the swapping of "treasure." Is this not what is outlined in every Groundspeak description of Geocaching? Something more to think about.

I am about to place my first cache. So, If I leave a penny in there... will the n ext person leave a nickel? the next a dime etc... until eventually my cache is full of hundred dollar bills?

This is how it should be.

I also don't look for caches for the swag but it is to find nice stuff. I love to find home made things.

Myself... I tend to leave things more than take them. I like to leave stuff in its original packaging.

mostly for kids but I do try to leave things adults would like also.

I do however plan to be a very active cache owner and CITO out crap from my caches and place good stuff...

Bruce.

I am about to place my first cache. So, If I leave a penny in there... will the n ext person leave a nickel? the next a dime etc... until eventually my cache is full of hundred dollar bills?

Bruce.

Hmmmm.

You leave a penny, I leave a tea candle. I traded up right?

Assuming people did trades based on type and equil or up, a penny could simply be replaced by another penny which could be replace with another ∞ ∞ ∞ and over time actually degrade in value.

~~~~~~~~~

Now that I think about it, if everyone traded up then eventually trade would stop in a cache because it would get to the point where people couldn't afford to do a trade.

Then kids don't want to go caching anymore.

Next whole families stop caching because of the kids.

The disenchanted stop stocking their own new caches. Why bother if trade is going to drag to a halt right?

Then you going to end up with people complaining that if you're going to do a cache without swag it may as well be a micro or at least only be able to contain a log and writing utensil maaaybe some space for sig items and trackables.

Eventually goecaching gets looked at as an elitist lunatic eccentrics game instead of just a fun loony game.

CITO the trash from them, restock when needed, do it for other CO's if your inclined and pray that a cache never gets to the level that it needs an armed guard. B)

From my admittedly limited experience, your expectations are way too high. You will be lucky to get the penny replaced with something even worth a penny. Even the plastic toys I have seen in caches are marked up or broken. I think some parents use swag gathering as an excuse to clean out their childrens' used junk. The only swag we have taken out of the caches we have found so far are things that we deem worthy to use for swag for another cache. BTW, this consists of two marbles. I played marbles as a child, and I may be dating myself, but these weren't even "cool" marbles by our old standards.

From my admittedly limited experience, your expectations are way too high. You will be lucky to get the penny replaced with something even worth a penny. Even the plastic toys I have seen in caches are marked up or broken. I think some parents use swag gathering as an excuse to clean out their childrens' used junk. The only swag we have taken out of the caches we have found so far are things that we deem worthy to use for swag for another cache. BTW, this consists of two marbles. I played marbles as a child, and I may be dating myself, but these weren't even "cool" marbles by our old standards.

Hey, leave me the marbles, I always take them because I am always loosing mine. The other day I found a giant masher. It was way cool and I traded for it. Yes, I'm a 34 year old 6 year old. ;)

Interesting to read the various perceptions and sometimes expectations as far as swag goes. I didn't know that folks were so silly as to think that unsupervised barter wouldn't result in some unbalanced trading. ;)

The coolest thing we've found that comes to mind was a brand new set of ipod earbuds..my wifes were just gnashed by our cat and it was cool that the replacements came to us in a cache. We traded about $20 of our glass beads for those.

I needed a guitar pick and kept forgetting to buy one...found it in a cache.

We have a small collection of little rubber snakes that someone around here has been trading at all the caches they visit. I've been grabbing those when they are sometimes the best choice.

We're only up to 59 caches, so far we've seen lots of junk, and sorry a** "rock from right next to the ammo can" trades. But whatever, the tragedy of the commons seems to fit nicely. It's a losing battle and "expecting" cool swag is not the way to set out on a caching mission. Even junk tells a story and can be funny to look at these odd hodge podges of crap.

I consider it a bonus to find anything that is a viable intact item that will simply serve as a momento, souvenier or memory of the cache.

We have a jar with our booty that's fun to look through and watch it grow. Don't really care what it is, if it's not dirty broken pieces of unidentifiable trash, sticky or stinky. Then it's good swag to remember a day out of the house by.

We make glass beads for a living and use them as trade items. The ones we trade sell for between $2-6 each in a set but we end up with extras or ones that don't match a set so we trade them for a smaller cost to us.

They are small and intricate but I can see how a loose bead might be viewed as a cheap trade or even junk to some. This thread reminds me that we need to packaging them so it's obvious that it's not some loose item from the floor of our car.

Blah blah, enjoy trading up if it makes you feel good, do it for the greater good, but steer clear of judging how others handle the trading, it just makes you sound pretentious.

I'm pretty new at this but this dead horse isn't exclusive to the geocaching community, it rotted and turned to dust centuries ago. Don't trade if you are bitter that you're leaving better swag then you're taking. Don't spend a bunch of cash on swag if your worried about what you're getting (or not getting) in return.

If it's more about the swag than exploring with family/friends and the simple pleasure of finding a hidden container then it sucks to be you.

EDIT: If you're the punk that leaves a that non-working pen in trade for ANYthing, then I agree that's lame, and nobody really appreciates that. But punks just do what they want so it's kind of a tough thing to correct.

Edited by BarrettFam

Interesting to read the various perceptions and sometimes expectations as far as swag goes. I didn't know that folks were so silly as to think that unsupervised barter wouldn't result in some unbalanced trading. ;)

The coolest thing we've found that comes to mind was a brand new set of ipod earbuds..my wifes were just gnashed by our cat and it was cool that the replacements came to us in a cache. We traded about $20 of our glass beads for those.

I needed a guitar pick and kept forgetting to buy one...found it in a cache.

We have a small collection of little rubber snakes that someone around here has been trading at all the caches they visit. I've been grabbing those when they are sometimes the best choice.

We're only up to 59 caches, so far we've seen lots of junk, and sorry a** "rock from right next to the ammo can" trades. But whatever, the tragedy of the commons seems to fit nicely. It's a losing battle and "expecting" cool swag is not the way to set out on a caching mission. Even junk tells a story and can be funny to look at these odd hodge podges of crap.

I consider it a bonus to find anything that is a viable intact item that will simply serve as a momento, souvenier or memory of the cache.

We have a jar with our booty that's fun to look through and watch it grow. Don't really care what it is, if it's not dirty broken pieces of unidentifiable trash, sticky or stinky. Then it's good swag to remember a day out of the house by.

We make glass beads for a living and use them as trade items. The ones we trade sell for between $2-6 each in a set but we end up with extras or ones that don't match a set so we trade them for a smaller cost to us.

They are small and intricate but I can see how a loose bead might be viewed as a cheap trade or even junk to some. This thread reminds me that we need to packaging them so it's obvious that it's not some loose item from the floor of our car.

Blah blah, enjoy trading up if it makes you feel good, do it for the greater good, but steer clear of judging how others handle the trading, it just makes you sound pretentious.

I'm pretty new at this but this dead horse isn't exclusive to the geocaching community, it rotted and turned to dust centuries ago. Don't trade if you are bitter that you're leaving better swag then you're taking. Don't spend a bunch of cash on swag if your worried about what you're getting (or not getting) in return.

If it's more about the swag than exploring with family/friends and the simple pleasure of finding a hidden container then it sucks to be you.

EDIT: If you're the punk that leaves a that non-working pen in trade for ANYthing, then I agree that's lame, and nobody really appreciates that. But punks just do what they want so it's kind of a tough thing to correct.

It's fine to say " If it's more about the swag than exploring with family/friends and the simple pleasure of finding a hidden container then it sucks to be you." But consider that you said "If it's MORE about the swag..."

The point is, geocaching can be about ANYTHING that ANYONE wants to make it about for them, and it is pretty judgmental to say that even the above mentioned folks "suck" to be who they are. In my opinion, judgmental people come off as being pretentious.

IMHO all this thread is about is that it would be nice (unrealistic perhaps) to enlighten the caching community to the guideline to at least trade up or trade even. That's all. Some of us enjoy the anticipation of the swag EQUALLY, not more, as they enjoy the outing. I'm not saying that you said this, but I don't think anyone has the right to say that these people are shallow. I sensed a small bit of excitement in your comments about finding the new earbuds and the guitar pick. It read like even you appreciated it just a little bit more when you found those two items. We have a brand new set of earbuds in our swag inventory to give out, and they cost all of $.99. To date, we haven't found anything even remotely usable or even cute and souvenir-like in any caches for which to trade them. We can't go out much, so maybe it's just a matter of playing the numbers game.

My only hope is that this thread may wake up the folks who don't want to take the time to spend pennies on something intact and fun to find. Perhaps they may rethink how they are trading. It's just like anything else in the world. Many times a lot of people feel the same frustrations about something, but no one wants to speak up about it for fear of being told that "it sucks to be you." Unfortunately, those exact people are probably the very ones who never go on the Forums to read something like this thread.

It's fine to say " If it's more about the swag than exploring with family/friends and the simple pleasure of finding a hidden container then it sucks to be you." But consider that you said "If it's MORE about the swag..."

The point is, geocaching can be about ANYTHING that ANYONE wants to make it about for them, and it is pretty judgmental to say that even the above mentioned folks "suck" to be who they are. In my opinion, judgmental people come off as being pretentious.

IMHO all this thread is about is that it would be nice (unrealistic perhaps) to enlighten the caching community to the guideline to at least trade up or trade even. That's all. Some of us enjoy the anticipation of the swag EQUALLY, not more, as they enjoy the outing. I'm not saying that you said this, but I don't think anyone has the right to say that these people are shallow. I sensed a small bit of excitement in your comments about finding the new earbuds and the guitar pick. It read like even you appreciated it just a little bit more when you found those two items. We have a brand new set of earbuds in our swag inventory to give out, and they cost all of $.99. To date, we haven't found anything even remotely usable or even cute and souvenir-like in any caches for which to trade them. We can't go out much, so maybe it's just a matter of playing the numbers game.

My only hope is that this thread may wake up the folks who don't want to take the time to spend pennies on something intact and fun to find. Perhaps they may rethink how they are trading. It's just like anything else in the world. Many times a lot of people feel the same frustrations about something, but no one wants to speak up about it for fear of being told that "it sucks to be you." Unfortunately, those exact people are probably the very ones who never go on the Forums to read something like this thread.

You've got me pegged. I totally agree with you and apologize for the attitude of my post, it wasn't very tactful and in retrospect pretty darn hippocritical. So foot in mouth for me. I think I was taking unrelated frustrations out in the wrong place. That all came out really poorly.

The sucks to be you thing while just an expression, was in poor taste and everybody has a right to derive what they choose from the game and I didn't intend to offend or judge anyone, I was just feeling cocky about my personal feeling that the only certainty in geocaching is coming home with a Found it or a Didn't find it, and that if the rest is just a bonus then I can't lose. But that was already covered.

On the flipside I really do appreciate cool swag and I always trade because it is part of the fun. I think that raising awareness and shedding light on the fact that trading crap for cool is a good thing to do. It's just the relationship between the beauty, the eye and the beholder where judging swag as worthy or not gets tricky and that's mainly what bothered me. That was covered pretty well too though.