New at this....need help buying a GPS

Cyndijpc

Hi and welcome to Geocaching :ph34r:

We need a range in price from you too before we can recommend anything! :ph34r:

Basically any modern "outdoor rated" GPS device will work fine for this sport/hobby/addiction(!) and the more money you spend the more bells & whistles the unit will have. But surprisingly, accuracy isn't tied to price. So even an el'cheapo "modern" receiver will likely be just as accurate as another one that cost 10x more. ("Generally speaking" of course there can be exceptions!)

Cell phone GPSr's and automotive "talking" GPSr's can also work, but they are not the best choice to go out in the woods with!

If you're unsure if you will pursue this hobby/sport then go grab a cheap GPSr first. Something like perhaps a Garmin Venture Hc is a good starter model.

Here are a spectrum of my recomendations.

Low end - for about $90 you can't go wrong wit the eTrex yellow "H" model. Simple unit will get you to any cache. However, black and white and only serial computer connection.

Mid-level - for about $130 you can get a Garmin Venture HC or for $190 the Garmin Legend HCx. Both have color screens, long battery life, a Geocaching mode, high sensitivity, very rugged, nice small form factor. The Legend adds routable mapping and expandable memory. For about $200 - you can get the Lowrance Endura Out&back with paperless features - no reviews yet but looks promising.

Mid High End - For about $300 you can get the Garmin 60CSx - long considered the "cream of the crop" for Geocaching GPSr. Many of the above features plus altimeter and compass. All buttons on the front make it a nice choice for in-car use as well.

High End - Garmin Oregon and Colorado Series add fully paperless Geocaching and even an integrated camera - Ranges from about $275 to around $600 depending on the bells and whistles you most like.

COs and ORs aren't very accurate...get an eTrex to start out with. Then...the Delorme PN-40 is the best for caching, but expen$ive. Yea, it depends on the bells and whistles you want, but eTrexes are just as accurate as some pricier models. (like the PN I talk about.) So go to REI our Best Buy or Walmart and see what you want. Garmins or Delormes are best because there's a link on the cachepage to send the cache right in, no constantly pushing buttons just for some casual cachin'. But really, its up to you. But I agree with previous posters, get an eTrex to start out with. You might just not like geocaching after a while. If you grow obsessed, go for a DeLorme. Cheeper, more accurate paperless. :ph34r:

COs and ORs aren't very accurate...get an eTrex to start out with. Then...the Delorme PN-40 is the best for caching, but expen$ive. Yea, it depends on the bells and whistles you want, but eTrexes are just as accurate as some pricier models. (like the PN I talk about.) So go to REI our Best Buy or Walmart and see what you want. Garmins or Delormes are best because there's a link on the cachepage to send the cache right in, no constantly pushing buttons just for some casual cachin'. But really, its up to you. But I agree with previous posters, get an eTrex to start out with. You might just not like geocaching after a while. If you grow obsessed, go for a DeLorme. Cheeper, more accurate paperless. :ph34r:

I've never worked with a Delorme, but the vast majority of cachers use on style of Garmin or another, so you will never have to go far to get help on them.

As for accuraccy... there are plenty here that say the same of the PN-40.

Me, I love my 60CSX. Traded in a Colorado for it and have never looked back.

Real-life screenshot, not Photoshopped:

bea36d68-f4fa-4151-8622-fa95eb55aa89.jpg

For help with them you get fast responses in the Delorme forums. Also D has great customer service...you post there, one of their staff will respond. Even on holiday weekends. :ph34r: So, I always reccomend DeLorme, but Garmin has some great units out there as well. DeLorme just rules the paperless category. To my knowledge they only have 3 units out, 2 of them are paperless, all of them are under $400, they've got a paperless out under $300.

Ooh and another thing. One guy suggested in there forums that they make a paperless GPSr. A few months later, the PN-40 came out.

Edited by GeoBigDawg

....Ooh and another thing. One guy suggested in there forums that they make a paperless GPSr. A few months later, the PN-40 came out.

...but the PN-20 which also does (did) paperless had already been out for sometime. I'm certain the 40 was "in the works" well before the suggestion.

COs and ORs aren't very accurate...

I don't know what you are basing this on. I'll put my Colordo 300 up againist any unit out there for accuracy.

If you are basing your statements on the accuracy displayed on the unit - you need to understand that is a low confidence estimated calculation that is easily "tweaked" to make customers feel good but has little to do with the actual accuracy of the unit. If any unit could actually give anything close to a solid accuracy reading - the unit would automatically correct for it.

I have a DeLorme PN-20 (less than $150) and it still does paperless caching. I think the software in the 40 was ready for paperless before the 20 but I could be wrong. Regardless, all of the DeLorme PN-XX units can do paperless.

Paperless caching is the ability to send all of the cache info to the GPS receiver. So, instead of printing out the form that gives you the cache location, terrain, difficulty, size, description and hint, you just have it all electronically on your GPSr and no need to carry the paper around. Some people go paperless by adding a Palm Pilot type thing where they can store all of that information because their GPSr will not. Keep in mind, though, that to be fully paperless on just a GPSr, regardless of which unit you choose you will also need to be a premium member. I am not a premium member and I can send everything to my GPS but the description and hint. However, seeing as how I am only going after a couple of caches at a time (normally with a three year old boy attached to me who isn't so great at going all day on this type of thing) I can read the page before I head out and remember well enough. If I were to go on a big trip and wanted to find a whole crapload of caches, I would probably print the description or pony up the money for the membership.