Using GPS to replace cue sheets on bike rides

I need some GPS technical assistance. First, some background info-

On large, organized bike rides, the event organizers hand out cue sheets describing the route turn by turn. Format is always text based, with point to point and culmulative distances. I've never seen any sort of map given out for the ride. Probably because a map covering the entire route would loose the turn by turn resolution needed.

So, I'm doing a ride in western MD in September, and suggested that the route map be made available for download to GPS devices. Great idea, they replied, but how do you do it? Specifically-

"Eric - Thanks for your interest in the Civil War Century. Your question is very timely; we have been discussing this topic. I am personally unfamiliar with GPS devices so I have some questions:

* Would cue sheets have to be put into a specific format for download (in other words would the existing format work or would it have to be changed)?

* Are you aware of any bike events that do provide maps electronically for download to GOS (sic) devices."

Thanks!"

SO, my question is, what do I want to tell them? I have a feeling they think they can load a text file into the GPS. They (and I) probably need to know what sorts of route files can be used by what sorts of units, and how to develop these route files.

Info and comments please-

E.

We use GPS routes for many of our bike rides - although they are motorcycle rides (and I'm guessing your are for bicycles) the principle is the same. You use GPS map software to layout the route and place a waypoint at every turnoff. Set the GPS to use Direct (or Off Road) Routing and you get and indication of the decreasing distance, and direction, of each upcoming turn.

The problems you may encounter is that it's unlikely everyone will have a GPS and those that do will have a multitude of brands and models, each requiring the route in a specific format.

Many motorcycle rallies/races (off-road usually) use Road Books which sound very similar to your cue cards, and the system works very well. Why do you want to switch to GPS?

Bob

Wow, neat site, Nordicman.

(And how the heck did they know I live in Gettysburg? I never visited this site before, yet it immediately presented Gettysburg Natl Park rides. Do everybody see these on first visit...or is the Google doing favors for me?)

I had the same experience - it presented me with a selection of rides in my locality. Is this legal? Can they access personal information on my PC (without my permission) or is there a way of them detecting who my ISP (and access point) is?

Doubt if I'd go back to that website without knowing these answers.

Bob

All they are doing is picking up your general location via your IP address. Many, many websites do this.

Your IP address shows up in server logs of any website you visit. It's just that some sites make use of the data to give you a better experience.

For example, go to Google Maps. You'll likely see it zoom in to near your location.

Another example, go to a news site like MSNBC. You may have a local news and weather section showing, even if you haven't set it up preferences.

From http://www.tracemyip.org/:

Who can see and track my IP address?

When you send emails, post on web forums, use instant messengers or access any online accounts - your computer's IP is logged by the network receiving communication requests. This is an essential step that cannot be avoided and contributes to various technical, security and privacy aspects.

Welcome to the brave new world!

Thanks for the info, Rich. Since I frequent Google Maps, I could write that off to cookies that had been previously set. This was the first time I had noticed a site taking advantage of my IP address in this manner. I think I can live with that (as if I have a choice). It's just a little unsettling when one has to attribute it to supernatural powers.

Max, are you kidding? The internet has worked that way for YEARS :anitongue:

I'm less concerned about a website knowing where I'm browsing from than I am about every single word I've ever written -- many of which I've forgotten about and would be embarrassed by - being accessible in the wayback machine.

Google yourself sometime, it's an eye opener.

Edited by lee_rimar

Saw Thursday on CNBC where new companies are being formed that have developed platforms just for looking at all the "tweets" (1 million per hour) sent on Twitter and analyzing them for items of concern from how well a particular product is liked, to political interest, or anything else that someone or company might be interested in buying.

Nothing sacred anymore. One day machines will be reading our mines and we won't even need to talk or write anymore, just highly detailed brain wave recognition.

.. gotta love modern tech :)

I recall years ago when telephone call display service became available.. all sorts of people were freaking out because their outgoing calls would no longer be anonymous

Now many cell phones have GPS trackers to allow others (and businesses too?) to be able to know WHERE YOU ARE at the moment! Egad!

I rode the CWC last year. I've emailed them to ask if they have GPX or TCX files. I offered to create them and share them if they would send me the cue sheets. I haven't heard anything in response.

I have last year's cue sheet that I'll create a course from in the hopes that there's no change from last year.

Very challenging ride!

Saw Thursday on CNBC where new companies are being formed that have developed platforms just for looking at all the "tweets" (1 million per hour) sent on Twitter and analyzing them for items of concern from how well a particular product is liked, to political interest, or anything else that someone or company might be interested in buying.

Nothing sacred anymore.

"Nothing sacred"? If you post it on the internet in plain view of everyone, it's fair game. If you don't want people analyzing your words and activities, don't write those words and engage in those activities.