Seperating Earthcache from Geocache?

Crotalus_Joe

Hi folks, i just got a Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx and i am looking to do both Earthcaching and geocaching with the kids when we are camping.

Is there anyway to seperate the ECs from the GCs in the GPS? it would be nice if the EC had an EC prefix when they are downloaded but unfortunately they dont.

I am using Basecamp with the GPS.

thanks

Hi folks, i just got a Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx and i am looking to do both Earthcaching and geocaching with the kids when we are camping.

Is there anyway to seperate the ECs from the GCs in the GPS? it would be nice if the EC had an EC prefix when they are downloaded but unfortunately they dont.

I am using Basecamp with the GPS.

thanks

One of the best ways that I can think of is to use custom icons on your HCX. I don't have the link handy but the cachers "The Propers" have a very comprehensive website that shows how to put the geocaching icons onto your gps instead of just the treasure boxes. It works very well in my experience.

This way you will be able to see the icons.

The other possible way would be to use a macro in GSAK that could strip off the GC part of the code and replace it with an EC if it was an EarthCache.

Edited by AndrewRJ

Thanks for the help, i was able to use ThePropers technique for getting the custom icons loaded on my GPS. Now i have encountered a new obstacle, - I am using Garmin's Basecamp with my GPS and when i load the *.loc file it defaults all the cache locations to a standard blue flag. This wouldnt be so bad, but there is no way (that i have found) to do batch changes to the icons in Basecamp, i need to click on each one, pull down the icon menu and change them manually.

- I am using Garmin's Basecamp with my GPS and when i load the *.loc file it defaults all the cache locations to a standard blue flag. This wouldnt be so bad, but there is no way (that i have found) to do batch changes to the icons in Basecamp, i need to click on each one, pull down the icon menu and change them manually.

If you use mapsource, you can block highlight all waypoints---> properties, and change the icon for all at once.

Basecamp does not have that functionality.