delorme pn40 vs. garmin etrex vista hcx

jcala6

I'm psyched to buy my gps device and get started with geocaching. I have narrowed my choices to the two above because they both have a compass and altimiter plus are both able to download maps. I hear good and bad things about each. Which is best? Help!

Since maps are included with the PN40's price it provides better bang for the buck. The PN 40 also has true paperless caching which is nice and the new Cache Register app for loading caches is really nice.

Some negatives I've encountered with the PN40 are spotty recepton, tiny, nearly unreadable menu fonts, a very primative autorouting feature and battery life that borders on completely unacceptable. Also a very clunky and difficult to use Topo software can be a source of frestration.

The Vista HCX can have a limited sort of paperless caching using GSAK and the POI loader to get hints and other data on the unit, but doesn't provide true paperless caching. With City Navigator installed it provides

a very good automotive navigation package and delivers solid reception.