how basic are these questions!

bat500

ok, here goes.

To do this paperless thing, loading data straight into the gps, there is a choice of programs,

which is the best to use with a garmin unit teamed up with a windows based machine?

Is all this the same as the garmin plugin I see pop up now and then?

n'ff 4 now

thank you

To do this paperless thing, loading data straight into the gps, there is a choice of programs,

"Paperless" and "loading data straight into the GPS" are not necessarily the same thing. Loading data can be done with Mapsource, EasyGPS, GSAK, etc. I prefer EasyGPS.

Loading paperless info (an extended set of info usually including logs and other cache information) is not possible to the same degree on different GPS units. The newer touchscreen units have built-in functionality to recieve paperless data. Older units have either limited or no ability to accept the data. In fact, the original meaning of paperless generally required the use of a PDA (palm, smartphone, etc). I use gpx2html to transform gpx files into indexed .html which I load onto my T-Mobile SDA.

which is the best to use with a garmin unit teamed up with a windows based machine?

Which Garmin?

Is all this the same as the garmin plugin I see pop up now and then?

The Garmin plugin you refer to is probably the Garmin Communicator plugin, which is used on GC is for feeding cache data to the connected GPS via the browser. I don't know if it's just the basics or can send more detailed info for premium members.

You'll find many opinions on how to get caches to your device. Eventually you'll decide what works best for you.

However - to get stated quickly you just use the "Send to GPS" and the Garmin browser plugin to send caches quickly. You'll only get the Cache GCXXXX and coordinates (you won't get descriptions and logs).

In order to get the full description and logs you'll need to get hooked up with a premium membership. Cost is $30 a year and gives you access to the GPX files and Pocket Queries that will allow you to get large batches in one fail swoop (or individual caches with descriptoin, full name, last 5 logs) via GPX.

Share what model Garmin you have and you'll also get some more specific recommendations.

Also - if you have a new Garmin, go to the Garmin site and register it. The go to the link below to get your 30 day free trial of the Premium Membership.

http://www.geocaching.com/garmin/freetrial.aspx

Right, I should be more specific.

Running Vista, using a garmin 60cx.

I want to be able to download the cache locations when I do, for example, a postal code search.

I've noticed a map feature, google I think, which shows the location of multiple caches on a map. That looks just about right on what I am looking for.

WHile I am here, maybe you folks know about the free map sets from Ibycus?

Any idea if I can run the Ibycus maps in Ozi explorer? I do know I cannot download maps to my Garmin from Oziexplorer (which explains why I have a 2gig memory card installed in the gps