PQ suggestions/wishes

rsplash40

If these are available and I'm missing how to do them please let me know:

1. PQ and search by multiple keys - for example keyword and zipcode. Yes, pick a target area, download the pq into gsak works but thats not always possible.

2. Download a PQ of your home state. While the chorus of expletives calms down, yes, I do have a iphone with the app but off the beaten path a connection more often than not fails. I spend a lot of time planning pq's and keep/organize a number of them that encompass a decent portion of the state but it would be very handy to have a ready pq. Possibly setup like the My Find's once/week but push it out to once monthly. Maybe the state caching associations could handle and host it.

3. My Hides Download - I might be missing this but being able to download a pq of your hides that includes all the logs would be nice to have.

thanks

The "My Hides" PQ is a nice idea, and one that I'd like to see made available

The state wide PQ, again nice idea, in theory, GC could generate a just 50 PQ's at, let's say 5AM PST, and just send a copy to each cacher who has requested a certain state. The biggest problem with that would be the file size, even after compression. Some of the state files would be enormous.

The keyword search for PQ's, eh, personally, I'm not sure how useful that would be. It's almost simpler to grab the PQ and use GSAK for the keyword search. In the case of a set of caches that all start with the same name or word (i.e. the Allegany Geocoin Trail project, all the caches start with "AGT") there is usually at least one bookmark set up for the series.

The "My Hides" PQ is a nice idea, and one that I'd like to see made available

The state wide PQ, again nice idea, in theory, GC could generate a just 50 PQ's at, let's say 5AM PST, and just send a copy to each cacher who has requested a certain state. The biggest problem with that would be the file size, even after compression. Some of the state files would be enormous.

The keyword search for PQ's, eh, personally, I'm not sure how useful that would be. It's almost simpler to grab the PQ and use GSAK for the keyword search. In the case of a set of caches that all start with the same name or word (i.e. the Allegany Geocoin Trail project, all the caches start with "AGT") there is usually at least one bookmark set up for the series.

Agree, the statewide would be huge, I was fortunate to get one for WI, ~11000 hides is about 60 meg in a gpx(not sure what it is zipped)

The way it was given to me there is no gc code in the file so I can load it in gsak and do what I need to but I can't update it from any pq I run as there is nothing to match so I get duplicates. The person I received it from can update it but thats a hassle for them so was hoping for a change here.

As for the keyword - yes you could create a pq, download it, etc. But the items I've searched for I've not found any big list or title consistency to help in searching. I've also interest in this to help decide where to go, randomly picking area's and doing pq's could work sure but it seems a lot of extra work when a pq could be built off of a search. I could see myself taking more bandwidth running multiple pq's to find a spot than a simple search and download of 1 pq might take. On the flip side, if there were a statewide pq, this would not be a issue.

Edited by rsplash40
The way it was given to me there is no gc code in the file so I can load it in gsak and do what I need to but I can't update it from any pq I run as there is nothing to match so I get duplicates. The person I received it from can update it but thats a hassle for them so was hoping for a change here.

Even without GC code, I'm pretty sure it's against the TOU. You may not want to be so open in admitting it.

In any case, of someone would, hypothetically, get hold of a GPX without the waypoint code, it should be theoretically possible to match it with another LOC by comparing the coordinates, and insert the GC code.

Even without GC code, I'm pretty sure it's against the TOU. You may not want to be so open in admitting it.

In any case, of someone would, hypothetically, get hold of a GPX without the waypoint code, it should be theoretically possible to match it with another LOC by comparing the coordinates, and insert the GC code.

Possibly, I read and re-read the TOU and it might but sits low on the possibility meter in my interpretation. And yes, I could match by coords I think, just a lot of work.

2. Download a PQ of your home state. Maybe the state caching associations could handle and host it.

I would imagine that will never happen. If PQs were available on other sites, there would be no need for anyone to become a premium member.

Good point, it might not work to put it on a state forum then, or at least it presents another challenge to doing so.

Some GPSs can handle unlimited caches (theoretically) if they're loaded as POIs.

In fact, all Garmin GPSrs with external memory support (microSD card) can support unlimited number or POIs. I've got 12000 loaded in mine, and I've seen much more in other people's units.

i'd iike the flexibility to use the PQs i already have all in one day.

so f'rinstance, if i'm planning a trip, it usually takes three day's worth of PQs to load up everything in the six or seven states where i might be. i STILL don't use the full week's allotment of PQs, but it would be handy to be able to run those three days' worth all at once.