After 7 years, a traveling cache is heading home

The semi-famous Corps of Discovery cache was originally launched in 2002, back when traveling caches were allowed.

It started it's journey a year and a half after geocaching was born.

It was grandfathered and allowed to continue it's journey when traveling caches were banned.

It originally was launched in New York State, with the goal of visiting the mouth of the Columbia River. It made it there in 2004 via some what-it's-name cacher out there somewhere. :D

I have been watching it ever since... and I am glad to see what must be the one of the last, grandfathered traveling caches in existence about to make it home. :anitongue:

A big salute to everyone involved. :laughing:

Edited by Sparrowhawk

That is history. I hope it doesn't get knocked out before crossing the finish line. Seems like the New York mod is trying to K.O. this one.

No, I think NYadmin is just confused as to why this legitimately grandfathered traveling cache is disabled, just because TPTB don't like who last handled it (a banned member). :unsure:

Pretty awesome. Although, are you planning on archiving it when it gets home, or send it on another journey?

But yeah, travelling geocaches are far and few between these days. I've only ever heard of two of them... this one just now, and Bernie's Travelling Geocache which I was lucky enough to be able to find and log when it passed through Winnipeg. That one was placed in Oct. 2001, so I'm guessing that travelling caches were banned sometime in 2002 then, or does anyone know? Or actually, since they don't seem to have their own icon or anything, does anyone have any kind of updated list of how many travelling caches still exist?

EDIT: Actually, it looks like there's various bookmark lists of travelling caches. I think there's only about 43 non-archived ones by the look of it (and another two of those are temporarily disabled).

Edited by Kabuthunk