60csx downloaded geocache details

talquino

I'm new to geocaching. i have a garmin 60csx. i know that on the Colorado, you can view the details of the description and hints on a downloaded cache. is there some way to download and view them on my 60csx unit or am i restricted to the 30 or so characters in the 'note'?

any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm new to geocaching. i have a garmin 60csx. i know that on the Colorado, you can view the details of the description and hints on a downloaded cache. is there some way to download and view them on my 60csx unit or am i restricted to the 30 or so characters in the 'note'?

any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You can use the Garmin 60 POI macro in GSAK to transfer the caches to your 60csx as custom POI's, but even that is limiting.

If it's paperless you're after, you can pick up a Pocket PC or Palm off of eBay fairly cheap - OR - use a Windows Mobile smartphone or Blackberry go go paperless also.

I found that the POI macro is a little cumbersome to use, but that's just me. I'm sure there are a lot of users here that use the macro with no problem and like it.

As I mentioned on another thread, I have done just about all I can do on a 60csx in terms of having cache info with me. I set up my POI name (limited to 44 characters but on the list screen you only see the first 21 or so), and my description (limited to 4 lines of text, I believe) to give me as much info as possible. But no logs, hints or descriptions.

I have all that stuff in my Nuvi thanks to pilotsnipe's nuvi macro, and I also have a blackberry with Trimble Navigator... And I have a netbook in the car sometimes that has sprint wireless broadband to pull up the site. So I am pretty much loaded with info. As much as I would love a way to get all that info into my 60csx, there's just architectural limitations we can't get around. After maps, tracklogs, and POIs, I still have about 2GB open on my micro SD card in my 60csx, that could hold a ton of data if there was a way to get to it :D

About the best use of screen I could come up with for my needs is:

Cache Name: "%ShortName=7/%Typ1-%Con1/%bug=* "

Cache Descr: "%name=20 by %by=10 (%code %last4 %datelf %Typ=3 %Con=3)"

Which yields:

MorseCo/MR/2-2/*

Morse Code by dazedandco (GCMTKQ FFFF 5/17/2009 Mul Reg)

I could have crammed more info into the name line had I used the short difficulty and terrain indexes (like %dif1 or %dif1a).