TB Reference Number vs Tracking number

ngrrfan

I picked up a TB today, reference number TB11D4Z (Butterflies are Free # 9), and moved it along.

My problem is this..... I can't log the pickup or the drop off. So the question is.. is the reference number the same as the tracking number? If not, how can I get the tracking number? Conversely, if they are, how come the tracking log won't let me log the pickup or drop off?

The reference number is the public number (will NOT allow you to log a discover, grab or retrieve log) Feel free to post the reference number in your log or forum post.

The tag number (or tracking number) is the private number (secret number that allows you to log a discover, grab or retrieve log) Never post the tag number online or show the number in a posted picture.

If the tracking number isn't working for you check for things like O vs 0, l vs 1, B vs 8, S vs 5, etc. If that doesn't work you can verify the number with the owner.

So the reference number isn't the same as the tracking number. OK .... that makes sense now! :)

And like an idiot, and newbie, I didn't write down the tracking number. DUH!!!! :)

OK... I'll have to figure out how to contact the owner and get the tracking number OR... just wait until the next person picks up the bug. I did note in my log that I picked it up, and dropped it off. so next time I will know to write down the tracking number. Live and learn.

Guess I'll blame this one on my daughter as she wanted to know what a bug was and what to do with them and in my eagerness to show her I messed it up. :o

Edited by ngrrfan

It's okay. Now you know.

Normally you can access the bug page and the owner will be listed at the top. Just click the name to connect to their profile.

Unfortunately this particular owner hasn't validated their account so you can't send them an email. You could try posting a note on the bug (you can do that without the tracking number). Perhaps the owner will respond to that or the next person to pick up the bug.

OK... I'll have to figure out how to contact the owner and get the tracking number OR... just wait until the next person picks up the bug. I did note in my log that I picked it up, and dropped it off. so next time I will know to write down the tracking number. Live and learn.

You should be able to contact the owner by looking at the Travel Bug inventory list (right column) on the cache page where you think you picked it up. Click the name of the TB (a hot link) and that will take you to the info page on that TB. Owner info, etc., should all be there. Just tell them what happened. I'm sure they'll give you the tracking number you need to log the pickup and drop off to keep the tracking current.

Hope this helps.

OOps, just saw BlueDeuce's note above about problem contacting owner. Well, in a perfect world it would have worked.

Edited by fsafranek