ipod touch for paperless caching (Repost)

I reposted this topic because I didn't see any text for my last post.Does anyone know if I can use my ipod touch for paperless caching and if I need cachemate to do it.If so,how do you get cachemate on your ipod touch and how do you use the info on your computer from a pocket query to get the cache page info on your ipod?Thanks.

I don't believe that there is s a Cachmate version for the iPod Touch.

Here's what someone else posted.

I wasn't the first to do this, so I'm not claiming to be original with this procedure.

It works with a PC running Vista.

Pay $4.99 plus tax for the Air Sharing application from the iTunes Store.

Get the GSAK application. http://www.gsak.net/

Get the GSAK2iPhone application. http://www.ketzler.de/gsak2iphone/

It is free. I tried loading the HTML from GSAK, but found it too difficult to navigate without the conversion (Fat fingers)

Get your Pocket Query and load it into GSAK.

Export the HTML output from GSAK.

Convert the HTML output using GSAK2iPhone

Connect to the iPod Touch using the Air Sharing application. Copy the output from the GSAK2iPhone to your iPod Touch. It is not the fastest thing in the world, but there is no Jailbreaking required. I was able to move 500 or so caches in less than five minutes.

I just got the Geocaching with Geosphere. It costs $7.99.

For a while I was using GSAK and Air Sharing. That combination costs about $30 total. Air Sharing is kind of slow.

With Geosphere, the only thing I had to do was create a free email account on Yahoo. Then you create your PQ's and send them to the Yahoo email account. Then you log into the email account through Geosphere and download the PQ's.

There is a short video that comes with Geosphere, that explains the functionality. The video has one error. With the latest version, you can use Zipped PQs. Of course, since iPod Touch doesn't have a GPSr, the compass function doesn't work. Other than that, it works great. You can also do field notes and mark the cache as found. Then you can upload the information to Geocaching.com and post your finds.

Nope, I don't work for the Geosphere folks. I just think it's a great application.

Edited by BiscuitMunchers

Or you could use the geocaching.com app...

Absolutely. $10 and you're done. Granted, it's intended for use with an iPhone, but the only fuctionality you'll lack with a Touch is being able to browse for caches online while in the field.

If you get the GC app for your Touch, you'll have the same benefit as a GPS unit with paperless caching. The only difference is you carry two devices instead of one.

This seems like the path of least resistance to me. You don't have to covert files and funnel them through several apps. Just one app.

We cache as a family of 5 so 2 GPS are always on the go, and our son already owns a ipod touch, so we figured everyone could take part and do something to get us to the cache if we downloaded the geocaching Groundspeak app. we did but can't figure out how to use it. I'm mom of 3 kids and have always been able to figure out the "Technology" but I just dont seem to be able to get this....

We just bought the Garmin 60 cx (LOVE IT) and figured out how to download cache coordinates into it. So much easier than copy and pasting EVERYTHING!

But would love to be able to bring all the readups and clues and some comments-posts with us without spending 30 miinutes copy and pasting these too.

Do I have to be a premium member to take the paperless route with my IPOD TOUCH? Would really just like to plug it in and download to the Groundspeak that we bought...or did I just buy it for nothing?

thank you for anyhelp.

knight_tracy@hotmail.com

Or you could use the geocaching.com app...

Absolutely. $10 and you're done. Granted, it's intended for use with an iPhone, but the only fuctionality you'll lack with a Touch is being able to browse for caches online while in the field.

If you get the GC app for your Touch, you'll have the same benefit as a GPS unit with paperless caching. The only difference is you carry two devices instead of one.

This seems like the path of least resistance to me. You don't have to covert files and funnel them through several apps. Just one app.

Do I have to be a premium member to take the paperless route with my IPOD TOUCH? Would really just like to plug it in and download to the Groundspeak that we bought...or did I just buy it for nothing?

When working in "off-line mode" (not connected to the internet) all of the applications really assume that you are using Pocket Query (GPX file) data. The only way to have a Pocket Query is to be a Premium Member, so in order to you your iPod Touch, for paperless caching, you really will need to be a Premium Member (otherwise you don't get Pocket Queries).

I believe that with your iPod Touch, you can connect to a wifi network that has internet access, then browse to individual caches, and "save" them (to your "Favorites?"). Once you do that, I believe that you can then view that data once you are away from the wifi network. This would get you the access you desire, but it would become very time consuming to make sure you go to each cache page and "save" it before you ever leave home. This is where spending the $35/year for a Premium Membership can have it's advantages. You can run one Pocket Query and get 500 (soon to be 1000) cache records returned to you which you can then easily load them all into the iPod Touch for viewing the data while out in the field.

You haven't "wasted" your money, but without the Premium Membership, you won't see the full advantage of the application when you are not connected to the internet.