Help with setting up Palm/Vista in Portand or Hoquim

Bug Seeker

(My first post doesn't show up, so hopefully this one will). I have a Palm pda (not phone) and Vista OS on my computer. I understand they are not compatible, but would be with use of a usb bluetooth adapter, which I have. I am totally clueless on setting these all up and using them for paperless caching. I am in Portland until June 21st, then on to Hoquim, WA. Would love to find either a professional or a helpful geocacher who could help me set all this up and instruct me on use. Thanks for any help.

(My first post doesn't show up, so hopefully this one will). I have a Palm pda (not phone) and Vista OS on my computer. I understand they are not compatible, but would be with use of a usb bluetooth adapter, which I have. I am totally clueless on setting these all up and using them for paperless caching. I am in Portland until June 21st, then on to Hoquim, WA. Would love to find either a professional or a helpful geocacher who could help me set all this up and instruct me on use. Thanks for any help.

Yes and no on the vista compatibility. 32 bit vista will work with hot sync manger, 64 bit will not. Its the USB drivers. If you have 32 bit vista download the 6.2 desktop and your good to go. But if it is 64 bit vista then bluetooth is probably you best choice if you have a bluetooth compatible palm.

Jim

Yes and no on the vista compatibility. 32 bit vista will work with hot sync manger, 64 bit will not. Its the USB drivers. If you have 32 bit vista download the 6.2 desktop and your good to go. But if it is 64 bit vista then bluetooth is probably you best choice if you have a bluetooth compatible palm.

Jim

Thanks for the info. I have downloaded (I think) the bluetooth to my 64 bit hp. I also think I loaded the palm cd into computer. Now I know I need some sort of program to transfer data from geocaching.com to the palm. Can you lead me thru that or know someone who can? I pretty much only know how to work the e trex and my computer and nothing more. Thanks.

You did not mention it, but on the palm you will need either cachemate or plucker. Cachemate costs, plucker is free. Both need a program to convert the geocaching/EasyGPS/GSAK gpx files to the required palm pdb files. With cachemate you can use the included cmconvert program. There is a windows gui version available. With plucker your going to need gpx spinner. Take a look at this link. Far as the transfer of data, that would be the hot sync manager set to bluetooth.

Jim

Edited by jholly