Long/Lat Coordinates not matching map

red_rover42

I am trying to set my zones and the coordinates copied from my GPS do not match the topo cordinates. I seem to be about 10 miles east of my location on the Wherigo emulator map. My GPS coordinates have been verified twice. I must be entering the coordinates in the "original point" incorrectly. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you know if you are using different position formats?

Degrees and decimal degrees

Degrees, minutes and decimal minutes

Degrees, minutes, seconds and sometimes decimal seconds

If you are looking at coordinates in one format and enter those same numbers somewhere that are expecting a different format, then you are actually entering coordinates for somewhere else. It was the "10 miles off" that tipped me off that this might be it.

Do you know if you are using different position formats?

Degrees and decimal degrees

Degrees, minutes and decimal minutes

Degrees, minutes, seconds and sometimes decimal seconds

If you are looking at coordinates in one format and enter those same numbers somewhere that are expecting a different format, then you are actually entering coordinates for somewhere else. It was the "10 miles off" that tipped me off that this might be it.

You should be able to configure the GPS to show the different formats. No need to take your GPS back out into the field, just change the settings and view the waypoint.

A good way I've found to verify coordinates is to put them into GoogleEarth, infact, you may do better with google earth than using your GPS if you have detailed coverage of your area. Also in google earth, you can swap between the different coordinate systems (Tools menu > Options > 3d View Tab > Show Lat/Log group).

Out of interest, does anyone know how to convert between these systems using Lua code?

Edited by a_snail

Out of interest, does anyone know how to convert between these systems using Lua code?

This could improved on. It recognizes which format is input and then displays it as DDD.DDDDD, DDD MM.MMM, and DD MM SS.SS

latitude = "34 26 57.949"

degpat = "(%d+%.?%d*)"
minpat = "(%d+)%s+(%d+%.?%d*)"
secpat = "(%d+)%s+(%d+)%s+(%d+%.?%d*)"

deg, min, sec = string.match(latitude, secpat)  -- input degrees, minutes, seconds
if not deg then
deg, min = string.match(latitude, minpat) -- input degrees, minutes
if deg then
  min, sec = math.modf(min)
  sec = sec * 60
else
  deg = string.match(latitude, degpat) -- input degrees)
  if deg then
 deg, min = math.modf(deg)
 min, sec = math.modf(min * 60)
 sec = sec * 60
  else
 print ("format not recognized")
  end
end
end

print ([[decimal degrees = ]], string.format("%9.5f", deg + min/60 + sec/3600))
print ([[degs decimal minutes = ]], string.format("%3.0f %6.3f", deg, min + sec/60))  
print ([[degs mins secs = ]], string.format("%3.0f %2.0f %5.2f", deg, min, sec))