Cartridge Beginning Location - Can't zero in

mtncachers

Okay, day 6, hour 15 of working on my first Wherigo!!! Everything is set, it all works perfect in the emulator and then when I get to beginning location.... nothing.

In my cartridge I have a starting location and have entered events "when the cartridge is started" under cartridge, and I have a series of messages for the user in order to tell them about where to park, how long it takes, parking meter etc... then you walk to this corner to start first zone. My thoughts were I wanted this message ANY time they open the cartridge. On the way there or after they parked. Any suggestions???

The problem is at the location it never allows you to begin play, it's there and the directional arrow is pointing with the ft but at no point could I get it to play. Even within 2 ft it wouldn't start.

I ran through the cartridge in the field two days ago and it worked but I didn't have this message then.

Any help??? Please???

Question two: Is there any way in my cartridge I can "save" it for the user so they do not have to back track if it crashes?

Thanks for any help given.

one: more info, please :e)

let me rehash. you tried the very same cartridge in the field and it did work, with your device. then you added the messages into OnStart and it doesn't work any more.

did you, by any chance, change anything else? shape of the zone, its active property, something?

if you remove the messages, will it work again?

what device do you have, is it perhaps Colorado or Oregon? if yes, do you have the latest firmware? older firmwares reportedly didn't recognize zones and you needed to zero in on some specific point

(this is no longer true. i have here a logfile that proves once and for all that you can physically enter a large zone with colorado)

maybe you could post the cartridge code and we'll see what's up with it...

the idea of putting the message into OnStart is basically correct, so you're either doing something else, or you hit a bug. (maybe your cartridge got damaged somehow)

two: in the list of script commands, you have something like "request the cartridge to be saved", i don't know the exact wording. translates to cartridge:RequestSync() in the code. then the progress is saved and when you resume the cartridge next time, you continue from that point

i don't think that your "start location" can be a zone.

actually, start location has no meaning in the game, it's just supposed to be a point from which you can start playing

the first zone has to be a zone, of course. it should have OnEnter event and it must be active (and probably visible) when the cartridge is started.

try setting a proximity event for that zone and see if it starts

how big is the zone, btw?

The zone is 230 ft but I never made it to the first zone. I am trying to play the cartridge and on the screen it has "play" and then the distance to coordinates of the starting location. It is not leading me to the zone one yet because I'm still trying to hit play. When I clicked play it says "unable to play cartridge"

I did make other changes since I walked through it but none that I think one affect start. Plus it works perfectly in my emulator and a friends as well (who I sent to check it out)

the first zone has to be a zone, of course. it should have OnEnter event and it must be active (and probably visible) when the cartridge is started. this is your statement.

This is all true of my first zone.

the promixity range is 200 (not sure what this means so I didn't change it from original amount)

does this help explain my problem more? thanks

Edited by mtncachers

oooh, so you can't even launch the cartridge!

you should've said that before :e)

okay, two basic possibilities: one is that the cartridge file is somehow corrupted.

did you "publish to my machine" with the correct device? try deleting the file from the device and putting it up again

two is that the device is struggling with "play alert sound", that's not really common. try removing that.

okay, it's working now with the sound BUT i did end up rebuilding and taking out the events on the "when the cartridge starts" but now it will not publish and gives me a long error message. i've read the forums on this problem and see where I could have some characters that would cause problems... thanks for your help. i'm going to delete the sounds just to make sure it doesn't cause problems in the future.