PDA Cellphone, is any phone better then others?

I'm in the market for a new GPS enabled cellphone. I know they are not as good as the dedicated GPS units by Garmin and Delorme, however I need a new cellphone so I would like to get the best GPS performance possible. I read through the forum and no real recommendations were available.

I'm not as worried about software, as they all have something, and software can be updated. Hardware is the main limitation. Do any of them have high-sensitivity antennas to work in thick foliage?

If you were forced to Geocache with a PDA cellphone, which would you choose?

Thanks for your time and responses,

Benjamin

I'm in the market for a new GPS enabled cellphone. I know they are not as good as the dedicated GPS units by Garmin and Delorme, however I need a new cellphone so I would like to get the best GPS performance possible. I read through the forum and no real recommendations were available.

I'm not as worried about software, as they all have something, and software can be updated. Hardware is the main limitation. Do any of them have high-sensitivity antennas to work in thick foliage?

Thanks for your time and responses,

Benjamin

Unfortunately nearly all PDA phones that have GPS functionality use Qualcomm's GPSOne solution, which is pretty "meh" compared to dedicated GPS chipsets such as the SiRF Star III or MTK2. The difference in lock times and general performance between my AT&T Tilt and a Holux GPSlim236 (SiRF) Bluetooth puck is like night and day.

Most dedicated PDAs without phone functionality that have GPS seem use the SiRF.

The difference in lock times and general performance between my AT&T Tilt and a Holux GPSlim236 (SiRF) Bluetooth puck is like night and day.

I have to disagree with the lock times. My Kaiser gets a lock very quickly, Sometimes it beats my Garmin Venture, If not it is very close behind, within a few seconds. General performance I agree with fully. The Kaiser GPS does not have the resolution needed for serious geocaching. The Kaiser is alike to the iPhone in its GPS performance.

As a Kaiser owner I am considering getting a SirFIII "puck" GPS for geocaching with my Kaiser.

Currently my Kaiser lets me do some on the fly caching just when I have 30 minutes when I am out and about but when I plan to go out the Garmin Venture gets loaded up with the waypoints as well. The Kaiser gets me to the location by road and then the Venture gets me landing on GZ with very good accuracy.

Don't expect to get a usable GPS reception under tree cover with most Phone/GPS units including the iPhone and HTC series.

I have the HTC Touch Vogue (6900), aka xv6900 thru Verizon Wireless. Internal GPS was a slight bit of work to get enabled due to the way VW ties it down. The internal GPs is about as accurate as a friend's iPhone, no where near as accurate as my Legend HCX. I bought a Holux unit that connects via bluetooth and the difference is night and day. Very accurate, and very fast lock times with the Holux.

So I could get any PDA with bluetooth, then buy a bluetooth puck, and have the best of both worlds?

That's your best bet.

The only problem with all the PDA-based solutions is the lack of electronic compass. It's a really nice feature to have when closing in on the last 100 feet to a cache.

The problem is not so much that the hardware isn't qualitatively good, it's that most pda phones are not designed to withstand the tough realities of field geocaching. Drops, rain, mud, dust, etc.

I'd keep the pda in a protective case and get a used/cheap high sensitivity handheld for caching.

I currently use an ancient Palm Treo 650 with Cachemate onboard and a bluetooth GPS receiver.

It is probably the PERFECT "PDA-GPS-cellphone" combination available because it does get the job done and, if I drop it or break it or dunk it in water, the thing is so cheap/obsolete I'm not gonna cry nearly as hard as if I dropped/submerged a new state-of-the-art smartphone :laughing:

The problem is not so much that the hardware isn't qualitatively good, it's that most pda phones are not designed to withstand the tough realities of field geocaching. Drops, rain, mud, dust, etc.

I'd keep the pda in a protective case and get a used/cheap high sensitivity handheld for caching.

I'd be inclined to disagree with this. They're not designed for it, but with proper care and a proper case (like the Boxwave Slim Rubberized Shell Case for the AT&T Tilt), they'll easily do the trick.

My Tilt has survived a lot of drops and falls over the past year and a half. Meanwhile a "rugged" GPS unit I tried last week failed on its own or was killed by a very light tap (swinging 2-3 inches on the end of its lanyard as I unlocked my apartment door while it was hanging from my wrist.)

Edit: As to the Palm Treo 650, due to the "stick up from the body" antenna, you could get a metal case with neoprene inserts for the Treo 600/650. That makes the thing nearly invincible except for dunking. Pretty sure the metal cases will kill reception on newer "built in antenna" units.

Edited by Entropy512