Newbie needs help transfering caches from computer to GPS

I need help... :D

I have successfully installed gsak and I am having no problem downloading caches to my computer. However, I cannot download from my computer to my GPS. For some reason my computer is only recognizing my GPS as a removable storage device.

I have a Magellan eXplorist 400 and my computer uses Windows Vista. I have downloaded the most recent firmware to the GPS from the Magellan website. I tried to install the Vista driver from Magellan but I am having trouble doing that because I am not at all savvy with zip files that do not unzip themselves to where they need to go. :D

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I'm getting tired of manually installing my POI's. :)

Thanks Allot

All data moves into and out of eXplorists in the form of files (which many including me consider a big advantage.) That your computer recognizes your eXplorist as a storage device is good, because that is what it is (actually two drives, the internal memory and the SD card.)

You want to create an explorist geocache file with 200 caches or less (which has the extension of ".gs") You can save this file to your computer, and transfer it later, or use GSAK to transfer it. It will go into the Geocache folder on either your SD or internal memory.

To set up the eXplorist to receive files, go into the menu: Adv. Features>Communications>File Transfer>Internal or SD.

Edited by EScout

PawPaw,

If you can't figure out the GSAk method, here's an old tutorial I made for myself when using EasyGPS to load up my Explorists.

--------

210,400 Explorist---downloading PQ using EasyGPS.

EasyGPS is free and besides, with an Explorist, GSAK is kind of overkill because the Explorists can't load descriptions for paperless.

First, you need EasyGPS, a GC.com PQ (with less than 200 caches on it because of the 400's limit per cache file) saved to Desktop.

Right Click the saved PQ .zip file....select Open With, then EasyGPS. WHen you see the individual caches in the E-GPS screen the hints all need to be decrypted. Left click one cache, it highlights....left click EDIT at the top left of the E-GPS screen....select Select All...now left click Geocache (next to Edit at top) ....select Decrypt Hint...they all decrypt.

They are ready to send to the unit. The first time you want to send them to the Explorist using EasyGPS you have to click Edit>Preferences>Add GPS>select Magellan>Explorist(model #) so that EasyGPS can set the file correctly so that the unit can read the files you're sending it. After that first time you can just click Send. WHen you click Send a "Send to GPS" box appears....make sure Geocaches box has a green check and your "Magellan Explorist (your model #) is in the box below.....OK it. A "Save AS" box appears.

At this time connect the unit to the USB..power it up...select "File Transfer"....(Note: on a 210 you will only have the option to see Internal Memory...On 400's an above you can save in the IM or SD.)

At the top of the Save AS box look in the 'Save In' box and find whatever drive your unit shows up in once in File Transfer. (Mine shows up on drive E as a Removable Disk) Double click "Removable DisK' then double click "Geocaches" file. This is where you will save the EasyGPS cache files. Name the new file and save it there. Go to the GPS and push the joystick, select Power Only, then disconnect the unit. Now to see if the files made it push Menu, Points of Interest, Geocache Pts, Nearest To>Position and you should be able to see them.

PawPaw,

If you can't figure out the GSAk method, here's an old tutorial I made for myself when using EasyGPS to load up my Explorists.

--------

210,400 Explorist---downloading PQ using EasyGPS.

EasyGPS is free and besides, with an Explorist, GSAK is kind of overkill because the Explorists can't load descriptions for paperless.

First, you need EasyGPS, a GC.com PQ (with less than 200 caches on it because of the 400's limit per cache file) saved to Desktop.

Right Click the saved PQ .zip file....select Open With, then EasyGPS. WHen you see the individual caches in the E-GPS screen the hints all need to be decrypted. Left click one cache, it highlights....left click EDIT at the top left of the E-GPS screen....select Select All...now left click Geocache (next to Edit at top) ....select Decrypt Hint...they all decrypt.

They are ready to send to the unit. The first time you want to send them to the Explorist using EasyGPS you have to click Edit>Preferences>Add GPS>select Magellan>Explorist(model #) so that EasyGPS can set the file correctly so that the unit can read the files you're sending it. After that first time you can just click Send. WHen you click Send a "Send to GPS" box appears....make sure Geocaches box has a green check and your "Magellan Explorist (your model #) is in the box below.....OK it. A "Save AS" box appears.

At this time connect the unit to the USB..power it up...select "File Transfer"....(Note: on a 210 you will only have the option to see Internal Memory...On 400's an above you can save in the IM or SD.)

At the top of the Save AS box look in the 'Save In' box and find whatever drive your unit shows up in once in File Transfer. (Mine shows up on drive E as a Removable Disk) Double click "Removable DisK' then double click "Geocaches" file. This is where you will save the EasyGPS cache files. Name the new file and save it there. Go to the GPS and push the joystick, select Power Only, then disconnect the unit. Now to see if the files made it push Menu, Points of Interest, Geocache Pts, Nearest To>Position and you should be able to see them.

:P Thanks Allot. I was able to download to my GPS very easily the first time I tried. :D The only problem I see is that the "Map Pane" in EasyGPS has no background map, it only shows my caches scattered all over a blank screen. Oh well, maybe I can figure it out later.

Thanks Again :D