Outer shell coming off Vista

I have tried doing a search for the problem but the search engine won't allow the words used. My Vista HCx outer shell is starting to come off or unglued. What is the best way to fix this since this will affect the waterproof rating. I have had the unit for about 2 years. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

I have tried doing a search for the problem but the search engine won't allow the words used. My Vista HCx outer shell is starting to come off or unglued. What is the best way to fix this since this will affect the waterproof rating. I have had the unit for about 2 years. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

If you mean the rubber strip around the edge, that exists for 2 purposes. It give a "grip" surface, and it provides the "nubs" for the side buttons. It has nothing to do with waterproofing the unit. The halves of the shell are sealed with a transparent strip underneath the rubber strip.

The rubber grip can be fixed with glue, or a strong double-sided tape. I used the latter method, and it worked a treat. I decided against the glue, because it might have prevented the unit from being opened up for repair at some time in the future.

Thanks

I had the same problem with my Garmin eTrex Legend. I used strips of double-sided, fabric-mesh carpet tape. Cut it to size so you don't have excess tape sticking out from underneath. It seems to hold well.

Thanks

I had the same problem with my Garmin eTrex Legend. I used strips of double-sided, fabric-mesh carpet tape. Cut it to size so you don't have excess tape sticking out from underneath. It seems to hold well.

Mine started to fall apart within the guarantee period - so back to Garmin it went. Am now on my fourth new unit in 2 years - everytime it starts to come unstuck, they replace it. Can't fault the customer service, and it's always back with me within 7 days.

Thanks

Wow, Thanks. I'm having the same problem but was looking for an answer to something else. BonuS!! :P

I just repaired mine today with "Gorilla Glue" from Home Depot. So far it seems to be working quite well, and I've read threads from people who had used it and were still happy over a year later.

I used rubbing alcohol and strips from an old undershirt to clean all of the old glue gunk off of the rubber sleeve, as well as the clear strip that waterproofs the unit. Be careful not to stretch the rubber out while you're cleaning it off..

Then I used a Q-Tip to spread a very thin layer of Gorilla Glue around the clear strip on he GPS unit. The glue expands as it sets and dries (read the directions) so you don't want to use much. I glued mine down and within an hour I was back out on the trail hunting caches today. And the threads I read said that Gorilla Glue wasn't effected by heat like the stock Garmin junk.

I guess only time will tell. Hope this is helpful!

Mojoski

PS - I got a smear of glue on my screen. I'm not sure if it was the old gunk or the Gorilla Glue. I believe it was likely the former, since the old gunk is a mess to get off.. Anyway, I put some rubbing alcohol on a fresh strip of t-shirt and polished the screen until it was gone.. Whew!

Edited by Mojoski