Idea for Cache

MrBoydFC

Hello,

I plan on making a multicache which would require the seekers to find clues through books, movies, tv shows, etc. For example:

I will post coordinates on the website. Once you find the first stage, it will have instructions on how to find the next set. It would say, require you to decipher a code in a certain book the seeker would have to go get at a library. It would be a puzzle cache. The next would require you to watch a movie or TV episode or something. (I'm still planning this). My question is, is this type of cache allowed?

And if so, would it be a puzzle or multi?

Thanks, fairly new at this but love it!

It sounds like it would be a puzzle cache. It may be allowable, but you need to read the guidelines really carefully. Once you get the idea firmed up run it by your reviewer before putting a lot of work into it.

I see some potential issues as you describe it. A requirement to read a book, or see a movie, or TV episode may bump up against the commercial cache guideline. It all depends on how you work it. Make sure the book is available in a library...and word the cache page carefully. Don't make it look like you are plugging the book. As far as the need to see a movie or TV episode try to make sure it falls under "pop culture". A requirement to see a movie that is in current release, or a TV episode of a currently running or syndicated program may again bump against the commercial guideline, but knowledge of an episide of The Honeymooners or Leave it to Beaver may pass because these are a part of pop culture and often available in libraries.

In short, what your are proposing can be done and sounds like fun, but work with your reviewer to make it happen.

Edited by briansnat

It sounds like it would be a puzzle cache. It may be allowable, but you need to read the guidelines really carefully. Once you get the idea firmed up run it by your reviewer before putting a lot of work into it.

I see some potential issues as you describe it. A requirement to read a book, or see a movie, or TV episode may bump up against the commercial cache guideline. It all depends on how you work it. Make sure the book is available in a library...and word the cache page carefully. Don't make it look like you are plugging the book. As far as the need to see a movie or TV episode try to make sure it falls under "pop culture". A requirement to see a movie that is in current release, or a TV episode of a currently running or syndicated program may again bump against the commercial guideline, but knowledge of an episide of The Honeymooners or Leave it to Beaver may pass because these are a part of pop culture and often available in libraries.

In short, what your are proposing can be done and sounds like fun, but work with your reviewer to make it happen.

Oh yeah, didn't think about that part. You might want to check a website like hulu.com. They have many current, recent & 'classic' TV show episodes. Once you get a few more details, check with your local reviewer (I believe it would be Keystone) and get some guidance.

Yeah I was planning on using sites like hulu so it wouldn't cost any money. Also, reading the book wouldn't be needed because I would come up with some code with chapters and number of words and stuff. (It would just be stated like I recommend reading it if you choose to do so). But no reading would be required.

I'll come up with something and check with my reviewer once I have a better idea of what Im going to do.

Thanks everyone!

I've placed a few puzzle traditionals and multis. Just remember that the more complicated you make it, the fewer geocachers who will bother. There are many, many "numbers only" cachers out there who are fixated on the total finds, and puzzle caches usually aren't included in their itinerary for the day. They want to get 25 or 30 caches that day, and will pass on the ones that look like they will require more than about 1 or 2 minutes to find.

But you'll also get some cachers who love puzzles and will follow the instructions, do the research, and find your multi regardless of how long it takes, even if it's the only cache they find that day.

Just remember not to make the cache page too long or overwhelming in its complexity.