Passed Off A Geocoin - problem

Mr&Mrs Preacherman

We passed off a geocoin to a couple while on vacation. We sent them info on how to take it from our inventory when we saw that they weren't taking it. They still haven't put it in theirs. I think it is about time to contact them again (this happened the first part of May). If they still have it, I could try to help them with it again. If they have dropped it, maybe I could help them with that. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

They may not be back from vacation yet. Or they may not be as quick to log cache finds and trackables as the rest of us ... :laughing:

You can always email the coin's owner and let them know what's happened with their coin so you're off the hook even though the coin is still showing in your inventory.

Or you could post a note to the coin's page (not need for the tracking # to log a note) saying you passed it on to so-&-so and that you've been trying to assist them in logging the grab. Anyone looking to track the coin down can then go to so-&-so to find out what's happened.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink.... it's really the responsibility of the cacher who grabbed the coin to log it out but you can cover yourself and let those concerned know you've done all you could to get it right.

They may not be back from vacation yet. Or they may not be as quick to log cache finds and trackables as the rest of us ... :laughing:

You can always email the coin's owner and let them know what's happened with their coin so you're off the hook even though the coin is still showing in your inventory.

Or you could post a note to the coin's page (not need for the tracking # to log a note) saying you passed it on to so-&-so and that you've been trying to assist them in logging the grab. Anyone looking to track the coin down can then go to so-&-so to find out what's happened.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink.... it's really the responsibility of the cacher who grabbed the coin to log it out but you can cover yourself and let those concerned know you've done all you could to get it right.

Thanks for the guidance.

After posting here, I sent them another email to see if we could be of more help. I asked if they still have it or have dropped it in a cache. Have offered to help them however we can, as others have helped us so much. I do still have the number so if they didn't write it down, we can help with that too.

Will wait for their reply and what works next. Maybe then I could let the owner know what's going on as you suggest. Thanks again!

This is the key...

... I do still have the number...

I learned a long time ago that the safest thing I could when dropping off a TB or coin is to write down the number on the sheet (we've been caching since long before PQs were invented <_<), or in my PDA. At the least, you can mark it Missing, with an explanation.

I know that we've had a similar problem a few times, and it gives me yet another reason to think hard about buying a Blackberry or similar device. When I hand off a traveler... "Oh, BTW, before you go, log into your account and grab that puppy, would you? Here, use my portable internet" :wacko::laughing:B)