what gps to buy

mlblnchrd

I haven't really had luck finding a GPS. could someone recomend one. I bought a Magdellin 1200 but i then learned that you can't download weypoints, or if you can i haven't figured out how to put them on the GPS. Can anyone help me fix this problem or recomend a well priced GPS to buy as a first timer. thanks

A good one you won't have to upgrade later is the Garmin 60Cx - has an expandable memory card where you can download free topo maps and you can download 1000's of cahces from your pc to the GPS so you don't have to destroy the rainforest when caching printing out all those pages lol

A good one you won't have to upgrade later is the Garmin 60Cx - has an expandable memory card where you can download free topo maps and you can download 1000's of cahces from your pc to the GPS so you don't have to destroy the rainforest when caching printing out all those pages lol

Although you could hardly call the 60CSx a truely "paperless" Geocaching unit....... The workaround works but has some limitations and is clumsy (to put it mildly) with large listing pages.

Although you could hardly call the 60CSx a truely "paperless" Geocaching unit....... The workaround works but has some limitations and is clumsy (to put it mildly) with large listing pages.

It totally paperless for me.. I haven't used any work arounds. Well it depends on what you mean. If you want to read the logs and the hints yea you would have to either look it up on your cell if it has internet or print out a page - I haven't had a need for this. - The 60Cx is 100% efficient for me. It loads 1000's of Geocache's on the map so if you are in an area you just click on the geocache waypoint, it pops up and shows you the Geocache ID and in the description it gives you a portion of the title of the cache. So, 100% paperless for me but to get everything under the sun you have to shell out a lot of dough.

My main thing on this unit is it is very accurate, works awesome under cover and you don't have to enter the coords in manually every time you want to go geocaching, plus it has expandable SD card memory for maps and other stuff.

Hi,

I dont know an awfull lot about the gps devices, but i have downloaded Geocache Navigator free from the internet for my nokia N95 8GB (Black) and seems to do what i want it to, gets me to the caches nicely You can find the cach in an area, see the clues, hints and logs of the particular cache with a click of a button or two, and even log your cache as found etc by linking to the geocach website.

As i say i am a begginer really but is working well for me.

I found the DeLorme PN-40 to be a great device that is waterproof, expandable, and rugged. The Topo 8.0 software is very powerful (though a bit intensive) and the maps are among the best I've seen. DeLorme is slowly beginning to support Mac users, which is a bonus.

If you watch for it, the PN-40 will often be on sale for under $300 at Amazon.com.

I've tried the Garmin 60CSx, but did not find it to be as Mac-friendly as it was supposed to be, and the very first cache I hid seemed to have wacky coordinates in spite of my sampling of the site numerous times. I also could not get the unit to remain stable when I was searching with the compass. DeLorme's compass is superior and more accurate in my opinion.

I also found DeLorme customer service to be quite responsive. This is simply my experience and I'm sure many others have been very pleased with their units. It's very subjective and a very personal choice.

Edited by NEOScout

I did some quick online price comparisons.

Note that some items are available online only.

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

$298.99 Target

$318.00 Walmart

$310.84 Walmart (oddly) the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx with carry case and .97 Shipping

$329.99 BestBuy -- Free Shipping

$399.99 RadioShack

$449.00 Kmart

DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-40

$248.00 Walmart

DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-20

$152.00 Walmart

Garmin eTrex Venture HC

$124.00 Walmart

$149.99 BestBuy

$159.99 Target