Magellan Triton 400 Users, HELP!

jaspalding

First of all, I would like to thank you in advance for any assistance offered!

I am a newbie to geocaching and just purchased a Magellan Triton 400. It seems like a pretty good unit and comes with the Magellan Vantage Point (MVP) software. I have installed the software on my pc successfully. However, when I access a geocaching listing on geocaching.com, and click on "send to gps," I get an error message from "Garmin" that states that no devices were found. :huh:

Ok, my question is this, I am supposed to be able to download the coordinates (I'm assuming via the MVP software) directly to my unit w/out having to manually type in the coords. How do I do that?

Additionally, do any of you MT400 users have any tips for geocaching with this unit?

Thank you SO much,

Jodi

Hi Jodi;

The Send to GPS doesn't work with Magellan GPS's. What I find works best is to purchase a Groundspeak membership and create pocket queries. Once you receive your pocket query in your email inbox, you unzip the file and drop both files (one file contains all the geocaches, the other all the child waypoints) right into Vantage Point. BTW, a new version of Vantage Point was just released by Magellan yesterday - the new version is 1.60. Unfortunately you have to use VP to transfer your caches onto the Triton (I have both a 1500 and 2000 and find this frustrating). BTW, there is a glitch in VP that will cause a transfer of caches to your Triton to hang if any of them contain large photos or complex HTML code.

Check out www.tritonforum.com for lots of useful advice on running VP and Tritons.

Hope this helps,

Brad

First of all, I would like to thank you in advance for any assistance offered!

I am a newbie to geocaching and just purchased a Magellan Triton 400. It seems like a pretty good unit and comes with the Magellan Vantage Point (MVP) software. I have installed the software on my pc successfully. However, when I access a geocaching listing on geocaching.com, and click on "send to gps," I get an error message from "Garmin" that states that no devices were found. :huh:

Ok, my question is this, I am supposed to be able to download the coordinates (I'm assuming via the MVP software) directly to my unit w/out having to manually type in the coords. How do I do that?

Additionally, do any of you MT400 users have any tips for geocaching with this unit?

Thank you SO much,

Jodi

I have a Triton 400 too.

You can't send directly to the Triton. You have have save it do you computer, then i,port them into VantagePoint, then download to the Triton, do this...

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files. ...

You can use either step 2a, 2b or 2c to get the caches from the website in VP.

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx)

2a. Upload the .gpx file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the library tab, select Import to import the file into VP; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

2b. To import multiple gpx files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx files and open VP; click the library tab, then select geocaches(reasure chesat icon). Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want; then drag them into VP

2c. Create a Pocket Query; unzip zip it; then import in into VP.

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb; then from VP, click the MyGps tab. Then Click Transfer From PC to My GPS on the left where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

What you will get on your Triton is…

1. Name

2. Cache Type

3. Coordinates

4. Distance from current location

5. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description