Best satellite reception GPS? (budget)

Hi

I would like to know what is the best budget GPS(<£100) for satellite reception. I dont care about colour or all the extra features. I dont care about how old the model is. What i really want to know is the most receptive budget GPS. For dense foliage,overhead clouds, precipitation. Which model outperforms the others. Most of the latest models are feature laden. I don't want that. I just want the basics with a very reliable satellite pickup.

Many thanks and like i said the age of the GPS is irrelevant.

Sabana

Though it's possible that lab testing could highlight differences between the reception capabilities of modern GPSs, the differences to a geocacher are negligible.

Excepting some older GPSs which didn't have parallel channels, and to some extent, the older eTrex models (not the newer eTrex models), all modern GPSs have more than good enough reception for almost any geocacher's needs. Leaving that as your prime concern is of little value.

Even the best consumer GPS will only get you within 10 or 20 feet of a position, and when you're looking for a cache, remember that the hider used a consumer GPS to generate the coordinates, so the cache coordinates themselves may very well be 10-30 feet away and still within the range of error.

For what it's worth, precipitation and cloudcover have negligible effect on GPS reception. Trees and buildings are the biggest factor. In some area, mountains and canyons can cause problems, and though you don't give your location, I suspect you're in the UK. The UK doesn't have much (if any) terrain which should give a modern GPS trouble.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

Though it's possible that lab testing could highlight differences between the reception capabilities of modern GPSs, the differences to a geocacher are negligible.

Excepting some older GPSs which didn't have parallel channels, and to some extent, the older eTrex models (not the newer eTrex models), all modern GPSs have more than good enough reception for almost any geocacher's needs. Leaving that as your prime concern is of little value.

Even the best consumer GPS will only get you within 10 or 20 feet of a position, and when you're looking for a cache, remember that the hider used a consumer GPS to generate the coordinates, so the cache coordinates themselves may very well be 10-30 feet away and still within the range of error.

For what it's worth, precipitation and cloudcover have negligible effect on GPS reception. Trees and buildings are the biggest factor. In some area, mountains and canyons can cause problems, and though you don't give your location, I suspect you're in the UK. The UK doesn't have much (if any) terrain which should give a modern GPS trouble.

Jamie

Hi

I see your point on how most gps will do the job. However ther is a lot of dense woodland(Uk) where i live and i want a cheap reliable gps which wont keep losing a signal.

The interesting thing about GPSr technology, more $$$ spent doesn't necessarily buy you better accuracy, but "newer" units can often be better than an older model. There are always exceptions to every rule, but a newer base model is probably going to outperform a +5year-old "top of the line" model.

This "cheapest new GPSr on the market" iFinder GO2 is probably as accurate as any other modern consumer grade GPS, irregardless of cost

http://www.tigergps.com/loifgo2pohag.html

Pretty well any current generation "high sensitivity" GPSr will have the same ability to hold a good signal under tree cover etc, and all of them will beat any older-generation consumer GPSr (pre "high sensitivity") for ability to hold a signal with reasonable accuracy.

The basic yellow Garmin eTrex H https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=8705 is a good place to start looking if you want sensitivity at the lowest possible price without any "bells and whistles" whatsoever. (But don't make the mistake of buying a "non-H" yellow eTrex https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=167&pID=6403 which looks almost identical.)

Be warned though - what might sound like "bells and whistles" to you now (colour screen, maps, expandable memory, etc) may end up being "core features" once you "catch the bug". The better-featured (more expensive) models such as the Vista HCx or 60 CSx won't necessarily get you any closer to your target than the eTrex H, or hold a lock any better, but the additional features can make the task of navigating a whole lot easier.

Hope this helps!

The Etrex H is a reasonable unit and small if that is what you want. I have the GPSMAP 76 CSX which floats for my water borne activities. The 60csx and 76csx have the most accurate tracking if you want to see your trex on a map. None of them will get a signal in certain 'U' shaped canyons. If you are surrounded closely by mountains you have to climb to get a signal. I'm from WV. For critical accuracy you need winter signals without the leaves. Dense pine trees can either block or reduce accuracy.

Also just because the unit says it has a signal doesn't mean it does. The accuracy moves around as well and can be 100 or more. There is some trickery going on in the software and you can see it in the track logs. I rode my bike into a concrete railroad tunnel and the 76csx didn't tell me I lost signal until I went over a 1000 feet, the track log showed 10 feet. It works hard to find and repair the track before giving up. When the software is trying to repair the track it can make some huge assumptions.

Make your requirements, find the units, and learn hard how to shop. The shopping is the way to reduce the price. Sales are everywhere and they come and go. If you are not in a hurry get advice and stay tuned to those who will tell what they have found. One of my requirements is battery life and it is a strong one because of the remote area I go to. I have not found anyone cheaper than SAMs on batteries. Rechargeable are great but keep you busy and they cost to if you get a good charger. Worth it, if you go alot.

All units have trouble with sharp turns like switch backs and may even get confused. Stop in the switch corner for a few seconds or even take a mark and see how it varies from the track.

Elevation is fun as well and is less accurate than the location so be careful what you think is accurate. Learn to average your signal. Love that feature - really helps.

Do not ever depend on a GPS to keep you from getting lost - research the area well and keep that info in your head and on a paper map.

Good luck!

Edited by GPS-Hermit

I have the Etrex H and am really pleased with it's ability to pick up the satellites and to hold a signal. Works well, even inside a car while driving under heavy canopy. I've been trifling with buying a new GPSr but have resisted because I've been so successful with the H's ability to do the basics, get a signal and get me close to ground zero.

But, if you go with the H, make sure to get the serial cable. Enterring more than a few waypoints is a challenge when doing it by hand. The serial cable and GSAK make it a breeze.