Looking for new GPs

PTBL

I just started doing some geocaching and I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 760, I have found all the ones I have been looking for so far, but the battery life isn't that good. I'm looking to get a handheld and I'm looking at the Garmin 60CSx, Oregon 300 and the Colorado 300. Just wondering which one I should get. Looking to spend no more than $600.

Edited by PTBL Family

You don't need to spend close to $600. Something like a Vista HCX would be ideal and you can get one for a bit over 200 bucks. Add topo maps for another 60 dollars.

If you want paperless caching (meaning all cache page info can be shown on the unit) the Oregon and Colorado are your only choices in the Garmin line. Each has its benefits and negatives. The screen on the

Oregon is hard to read in sunlight, but ease of use is excellent. The Colorado is missing some popular features and was bug ridden when it was released. It's gotten a bit better with subsequent upgrades.

From my observations, neither the Colorado or Oregon get as good reception as the 60CSX. If paperless capability isn't important, hen there isn't a better all around unit than the 60CSX, but as I mentioned above you don't need to spend that much.

Edited by briansnat
I just started doing some geocaching and I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 760, I have found all the ones I have been looking for so far, but the battery life isn't that good. I'm looking to get a handheld and I'm looking at the Garmin 60CSx, Oregon 300 and the Colorado 300. Just wondering which one I should get. Looking to spend no more than $600.

You don't need to spend nearly $600. I got my Colorado 400t at offroute.com for about $340. Telling us what kind of GPS user you are would help us make better suggestions. For example, I chose my Colorado because it is the easiest-to-use GPSr I could find (my 6yo uses it), and it is very feature-rich (Wherigo player, paperless caching, large color screen, WAAS, barometric altimeter, electronic compass, SD card slot). However, every unit has its downsides -- the Colorado's waterproofing is questionable, the battery life (10-15 hours) is mediocre at best, and text entry is clumsy.

For me, my highest priorities - WAAS, kid-friendliness, paperless caching -- far outweighed the Colorado's issues. However, every user has different priorities. There is no "best", objectively speaking... just figure out what *you* want in a unit, and look for the one that best matches your criteria without any downsides you can't live with.

--Susan

I "inherited" an old garmin e-trek summit. It has been often 40-50 feet off, but then I find caches my 400t partner does not because i'm not looking at just ground zero and many caches do not have accurate listings anyway. :rolleyes:

If I were to buy one i'd get the garmin 60cxs or whatever it is everyone raves about or the oregon 400t for the paperless caching.

I write up all the caches on paper and keep a huge binder of the ones I write up and have not found yet.

I spend hours before each caching day we have, while my partner spends ten minutes and gets more information than I have. Even the logs are transferred into his oregon 400t.

that unit isn't perfect, and has been off on some caches lately (his unit or the cache?) but the paperless idea spares him hours.

I found his Oregon 400t on ebay for 425. I think. It lists for over 600. It works great. No problems. Is new.

Oh, by the way, Groundspeak does have the ratings of a ton of units on it's website. Kind of overwhelming for the newbie but good if you want to check on one unit.

My question: is there any unit that does paperless caching other than the 400t's??

I'd love to find one cheaper.

...My question: is there any unit that does paperless caching other than the 400t's??

I'd love to find one cheaper.

Oregon 200 - with Rebate off of Amazon goes for $40 right now - has all the paperless features of its bigger brothers. I use one - they are great!!

....and I'll put my Colorado 300 (with latest firmware) up againist anybody's 60CSx for accuracy.

, but the battery life isn't that good.

Oh, also, I've been doing some experimenting with batteries.

I recently tried using some expensive ones made for lasting long in electronic equipment like cameras.

They outlasted the good Duracell Copper Tops by at least four times. These are Platinum batteries I think. I think they're also made by Duracell. More expensive and end up saving money in the long run for sure!! (don't think they are twice the price but last more than four times longer).

If I use the Duracell Copper Tops they last three or four times longer than the Energizer batteries.

Cheaper brands than the Energizer seem to last 1/4 as long as the Energizer batteries.

To put any cheaper brands in my GPS is a waste of time and money I believe. Spend all my time recalibrating my compass and changing batteries right when I'm zeroing in on ground zero every time.

Go through them like water through my fingers.

Lots of weight to carry, lots of toxins in the landfill, lots of time wasted, not a savings in money at all.

At this point I refuse to use anything cheaper than the copper tops and would love to find the platinum batteries again. (on sale is good) :rolleyes::anicute: