More Waypoints Please!

loge18

I own a garmin Etrex Legend Cx. I am trying to save multiple waypoints for different trips I am planning on taking this summer and also just to have available for different parts of my immediate area (we seem to have lots of caches!) However, the GPS keeps giving me the "waypoint memory full" screen. While it wouldn't be the end of the world to delete and resend different sets, I was wondering if there was a way to send additional waypoints to say the memory card itself, since I recently upgraded that component. Any advice from more experienced cachers would be greatly appreciated with a special ;) to the FTH!

Logan

I seem to fit between 500-1000. I didn't know if there was a way I could use the massive amounts of storage I have left it my memory card. I'll poke around for the Garmin POI installer, though I do like seeing all the little treasure chests waiting for me! Thanks for the reply!

Garmins POI loader

if you just want treasure chest put that icon in the same folder as your POI and name it the same as your file. problem with that is you wont know which is a waypoint and which is a poi.

If you still want to use the geocaching feature then on the poi hit save ( it will save it as a waypoint ) and change the symbol to the chest.

Edited by IBcrashen

Thanks IBcrashen, for your response too! I'm quickly realizing that I didn't need such a large memory card! Maybe there is some random icon that will show me that it's a cache without messing up the functionality of the GPS telling me what are true POI. This assumes I ever use my GPS for anything besides caching, which hasn't happened yet! Thanks again and happy caching!

You can use any icon you have ( back ground has to be a certain color to disappear in the gps) for the POI`s as long as you put it in the same folder as the file ( .gpx or .csv ) your sending to the gps and name it the same as that file. This way you can send multi kinds of POI`s all with there own icons. I load all my own caches, ones I have found, ones I havent found with just the hints decoded. I made my own icons. So my set up is 3 folders inside 1 main folder and run the POI loader pointed at the main folder.

To put the hints use GSAK (free with nag screen or $25, well worth it) and this macro ( free). There is an 88 character limit on each page so if it goes over that it will create more POI pages. You will have to swap out the icon unless you want to use the treasure chest or a GC symbol.

If you need help let me know.

Edited by IBcrashen