Oregon 400t with No internal Map..HELP

I purchased an oregon400t from someone on ebay and when I start it up there is not map at all in there. Just white screen behind my markers. I was wondering if anyone else that has a 400t might be able to give me an idea of what I need to has some maps on this thing. I am not techie at all and my cache mate is out on a business trip. I looked around the Garmin site and tried to register it but this guy had already done that, so I couldnt. He said it still had a one year warranty on it so I figured he had not registered it. Ok...I know I probably could really complain but I do like it. Do they normally come with a disk of some sort? I did get the USB cord and instruction book that mentions an internal map. When I tap the map button it is white screen with blue arrow... :rolleyes:

Any words of help would be appreciated...

jojo

The map on that unit can be erased. I've seen others in the forums with the same problem. Garmin support is very good. You should call them. I'd leave out the whole ebay thing(it's a need to know thing). Give them the serial number if it's under warrenty they should help you replace the map. Post and let us know your results.

I purchased an oregon400t from someone on ebay and when I start it up there is not map at all in there. Just white screen behind my markers. I was wondering if anyone else that has a 400t might be able to give me an idea of what I need to has some maps on this thing. I am not techie at all and my cache mate is out on a business trip. I looked around the Garmin site and tried to register it but this guy had already done that, so I couldnt. He said it still had a one year warranty on it so I figured he had not registered it. Ok...I know I probably could really complain but I do like it. Do they normally come with a disk of some sort? I did get the USB cord and instruction book that mentions an internal map. When I tap the map button it is white screen with blue arrow... :rolleyes:

Any words of help would be appreciated...

jojo

Edited by jbar

Check to make sure the map is enabled

Setup / Map / Map Information / US Topo / Enabled

If it's just gone would the user be able to find someone that had the .img file for the basemap and just copy it to the device? It's rather large do getting over the internet would be difficult (I think the Topo .img file on my Oregon is about 2.4Gb).

I'm sure Garmin will help out - and as the other poster said, just avoid mentioning eBay and hopefully they won't notice/care/check names on the product registration.

Just an update....I called garmin and they where very helpful but I ended up lying to them and felt very bad. They wanted to know about it being registered to someone else so I gave them my 'Uncles' name that gifted it to me...( ok so the total stranger I bought it from on ebay) and it wasnt registered to him either...yikes...so now I am thinking what if the guy stole it or found it or who knows what!

Garmin says it is still under warranty till July so to send it in to them and they will get it all fixed up for me.

He had me hook the GPS up to the computer and he did a remote check on it to make sure the files where not there...and he said so many where gone I would have to send it in...sigh.

Guess that I what I get for such a "good DEAL!

Jonelle :rolleyes:

I'm sure Garmin will help out - and as the other poster said, just avoid mentioning eBay and hopefully they won't notice/care/check names on the product registration.

As for then name thing, I bet they will notice/care. When I bought my OR 400t from someone else, they had already registered it to themselves, so I had to go through a "ownership transfer before Garmin would discuss anything about the unit with me. It went quickly, but I still had to complete that...