Oviously old, but apprently unactivated?

Puddler

Ok, so I open a cache to find a travel bug dog tag attached to a pink plastic pig torch with LED's for nostrils. It's obviously been handled, the tag is pitted from corrosion, and is a copy. Funny thing is it's logged into the cache, so I log onto geocaching.com to inform the owner their piggy torch is found only to be told the tag has not been activated?!?!?!

That just cannot be right since it's a copy, and it's is 100% a geoaching.com/ground speak tag... so what's going on? I tried a search for "pig" and "torch" in the names area with no results (might not be in english). No way of knowing who dropped it into the cache, since it's not in the caches history or mentioned in a log.

The only thought I had was that it might have been archived after being assumed AWOL. Do they do that? And if they do, is there a way of searching the archives? Even if it has been, surely the database would not offer activation.....

Thoughts? I'd really like to re-unite this bug with it's owner, or get it moving again.

Thanks

This is the second trackable in Australia that this has occurred to this weekend.

From GCA forum:

While on a caching expedition and completing the 'Bega Valley Lookout Cache' we picked up a lovely geotalk geocoin (TB2D55J) I brought it home to log it and it hasn't been activated. I have posted a note for it in the log for the cache but thought I might post one here also.

It had been activated and moved, but something's not working now. In fact I was able to post a note on 23 April. Is this happening else? As Groundspeak deactivated it?

Edited by The Spindoctors

Groundspeak might lock an abused tracking number, but they will never de-activate one. And you would know it was locked when you try to log it. Please check the tracking numbers for any mistaken numbers, as Blue Deuce has suggested. I - 1, S - 5, B - 8, Z - 2, etc.......

Groundspeak might lock an abused tracking number, but they will never de-activate one. And you would know it was locked when you try to log it. Please check the tracking numbers for any mistaken numbers, as Blue Deuce has suggested. I - 1, S - 5, B - 8, Z - 2, etc.......

Nope, no problems with confusing characters. I will PM you with the tracking number....

Groundspeak might lock an abused tracking number.

This doesn't appear to be the case, but I might be wrong. The Geocoin near Canberra can be found with the TB code and will accept a note, but cannot be grabbed or discovered. A search using its six 'digit' code comes up as unactivated - though it isn't.

FYI - See http://coord.info/TB2D55J

You can post a note to any traveler, it doesn't require the tracking code.

The coin isn't locked. At this point the owner should move the coin to the correct location.

Edited by BlueDeuce