how often are caches removed?

shoebop

I have not had good luck finding caches. I'm pretty sure I am in the right location but can't actually find many of the caches (I'm 2 for 9). My question is: Are they actually there any more or have they been accidentially found and taken by Muggles or what? Does this happen and how often and what do you do if you suspect this has happened? The ones I've been searching for have been in high traffic areas and might be susceptable. It makes me question if I should look harder or even be looking at all.

Are they actually there any more or have they been accidentially found and taken by Muggles or what? Does this happen and how often and what do you do if you suspect this has happened?

It took me some time to actually start finding the caches I was looking for... I know this can be very disappointing, but don't give up! At some point you'll learn where to look once you're at the cache area - and suddenly, the caches will start revealing themselves to you.

In order to know if the cache is still in its place or went missing, check the last logs on the cache profile. If there's a series of DNF for that cache, that's a sign that it's maybe missing...

Good luck!

I'll second what CacheCoeur said. Often the best tool you have is your "geosense". Unfortunately it takes some experience to develop it, but what it boils down to is:

"If I were the hider, where would I have hidden it?"

Once you get close to ground zero (30 feet or so), forget the GPS unit and stop and just look at the area carefully. Usually several places will stand out as good candidates. Look for tell-tale signs. If it's a forest hide, look for sticks or pieces of bark stacked in an unnatural way, or a hollow tree bole. If it's an urban hide, look in the usual places like under or in bushes, magnetic caches stuck to fences and railings, caches hanging by a string in trees, etc.

Eventually your eyes will automatically go to the likely spots. In fact, it's hard to turn it off. I find myself scoping out hide sites when I'm out doing something non-caching related, and see that nice hollow bole or the steel fence with nooks and crannies :(

Are they actually there any more or have they been accidentially found and taken by Muggles or what? Does this happen and how often and what do you do if you suspect this has happened?

It took me some time to actually start finding the caches I was looking for... I know this can be very disappointing, but don't give up! At some point you'll learn where to look once you're at the cache area - and suddenly, the caches will start revealing themselves to you.

In order to know if the cache is still in its place or went missing, check the last logs on the cache profile. If there's a series of DNF for that cache, that's a sign that it's maybe missing...

Good luck!

Nice advice.

Even now I can't find 10% of the caches I look for. Sometimes I wonder if I still remember how to find a cache, but then I bring a long a noob and realize that yeah, I've learned a few tricks. So have the hiders though. I keep seeing new things.

Fellow newbie here, started 3/1 and have 59 finds...

Look for the spot, not the cache. I've also found myself checking the ground for disturbances, shoe prints, etc. It seems weird to not look for the container, but looking for the spot ultimately does get easier.

When I started out in March, I was very spotty at first. Then I got better at it. I still have and log all my DNF's- they're not a reflection on you, at all. I use them as motivation to go back and try again. :unsure:

Good luck!

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Stick to areas you are familar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Many micros are magnetic or are off of the ground. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container here? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - light at a different angle can reveal the cache. Slowly expand your search radius up to 30 or more feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think ( I avege 1 DNF for every 8 finds).

Most of all - have fun and walk away when it isn't fun anymore!!