FS: IBM ThinkPad T42 with 15" 1400x1050 display

I'm selling my IBM ThinkPad T42 ultralight notebook computer. I'm the original owner and it's in excellent condition with all original accessories and in the original box. Also included is a second high capacity IBM original Li-Ion battery and an IBM original Auto/Air AC/DC adapter. This adapter allows you to use the computer on AC power, or in a car or airplane on DC power. Both batteries hold an excellent charge and provide hours of run time.

The ThinkPad T42 is a premium business class notebook computer with excellent build quality including twin steel LCD hinges. The hard drive features IBM's Active Protection accelerometer based system which stops the hard drive in the event of a fall or other shock to prevent damage. The Intel Pentium M 745 1.8GHz processor is very fast and very power efficient. This ThinkPad also has the keyboard light mounted in the LCD display bezel which seems like a small thing but turns out to be very useful.

One of the best features of this ThinkPad laptop is it's high resolution 15" 1400x1050 SXGA+ LCD display. The 15" high resolution ThinkPads tend to be quite rare. Most models offered for sale seem to have the 14" screen or the lower resolution XGA 15" model. High resolution displays are hard to find on most notebooks these days. Almost all the consumer and business notebooks under $1,000 have low resolution 1280x800 widescreen displays which are great for watching a 720p HD movie but lousy for just about everything else. Most new notebooks also lack a non-glare finish on the display which makes them very reflective and difficult to use in ambient light. I've used this notebook extensively with my GPS and mapping software both at home and in vehicles. The high resolution screen makes a huge difference when using maps or Google Earth.

The main features of this ThinkPad T42 (2373-CYU) are:

- Intel Pentium M 745 1.8GHz processor

- 1GB DDR RAM

- 80GB fixed disk drive with IBM Active Protection

- Removable DVD Multi-Burner optical drive

- ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 graphics processor

- 15" 1400x1050 high resolution SXGA+ active matrix LCD display

- Integrated IBM Tri-Band 801.11a/b/g WiFi wireless network adapter with high performance antenna

- Integrated IBM Bluetooth adapter

- Integrated 10/100/1000Base-T gigabit ethernet adapter

- Integrated 56K v.90 modem with fax

- Integrated IBM UltraNAV Trackpoint and Touchpad

- Standard capacity Li-Ion battery

- Standard AC adapter

- Two USB 2.0 high speed ports

- Two PCMCIA CardBus expansion slots

- Microsoft Windows XP Professional

thinkpad1.jpg

thinkpad2.jpgthinkpad3.jpg

Before offering it for sale I just had this notebook serviced at an IBM/Lenovo Authorized Service Center. They cleaned the computer (including the heatsink, fan and air ducts inside), restored the original Windows XP Professional configuration (with all the IBM additional programs and utilities) and tested the computer with IBM diagnostics.

Asking price is $450 shipped anywhere in CONUS.

This has been a great computer for me but I've been given an opportunity to get a new one (with a high resolution screen of course!) at a great price so I can't pass it up. I did a lot of research on craigslist and eBay before deciding on an asking price and it should be quite fair based on the features, accessories and condition of the computer (but you can feel free to make an offer). Please get in tough with any questions or for additional information.

Thanks for your time!

For that money I can get an HP with a dual core, twice the storage capacity, twice the ram, same screen. I'd pay $350 for it (still more than they go for on ebay) if you're interested.

I'm selling my IBM ThinkPad T42 ultralight notebook computer. I'm the original owner and it's in excellent condition with all original accessories and in the original box. Also included is a second high capacity IBM original Li-Ion battery and an IBM original Auto/Air AC/DC adapter. This adapter allows you to use the computer on AC power, or in a car or airplane on DC power. Both batteries hold an excellent charge and provide hours of run time.

The ThinkPad T42 is a premium business class notebook computer with excellent build quality including twin steel LCD hinges. The hard drive features IBM's Active Protection accelerometer based system which stops the hard drive in the event of a fall or other shock to prevent damage. The Intel Pentium M 745 1.8GHz processor is very fast and very power efficient. This ThinkPad also has the keyboard light mounted in the LCD display bezel which seems like a small thing but turns out to be very useful.

One of the best features of this ThinkPad laptop is it's high resolution 15" 1400x1050 SXGA+ LCD display. The 15" high resolution ThinkPads tend to be quite rare. Most models offered for sale seem to have the 14" screen or the lower resolution XGA 15" model. High resolution displays are hard to find on most notebooks these days. Almost all the consumer and business notebooks under $1,000 have low resolution 1280x800 widescreen displays which are great for watching a 720p HD movie but lousy for just about everything else. Most new notebooks also lack a non-glare finish on the display which makes them very reflective and difficult to use in ambient light. I've used this notebook extensively with my GPS and mapping software both at home and in vehicles. The high resolution screen makes a huge difference when using maps or Google Earth.

The main features of this ThinkPad T42 (2373-CYU) are:

- Intel Pentium M 745 1.8GHz processor

- 1GB DDR RAM

- 80GB fixed disk drive with IBM Active Protection

- Removable DVD Multi-Burner optical drive

- ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 graphics processor

- 15" 1400x1050 high resolution SXGA+ active matrix LCD display

- Integrated IBM Tri-Band 801.11a/b/g WiFi wireless network adapter with high performance antenna

- Integrated IBM Bluetooth adapter

- Integrated 10/100/1000Base-T gigabit ethernet adapter

- Integrated 56K v.90 modem with fax

- Integrated IBM UltraNAV Trackpoint and Touchpad

- Standard capacity Li-Ion battery

- Standard AC adapter

- Two USB 2.0 high speed ports

- Two PCMCIA CardBus expansion slots

- Microsoft Windows XP Professional

thinkpad1.jpg

thinkpad2.jpgthinkpad3.jpg

Before offering it for sale I just had this notebook serviced at an IBM/Lenovo Authorized Service Center. They cleaned the computer (including the heatsink, fan and air ducts inside), restored the original Windows XP Professional configuration (with all the IBM additional programs and utilities) and tested the computer with IBM diagnostics.

Asking price is $450 shipped anywhere in CONUS.

This has been a great computer for me but I've been given an opportunity to get a new one (with a high resolution screen of course!) at a great price so I can't pass it up. I did a lot of research on craigslist and eBay before deciding on an asking price and it should be quite fair based on the features, accessories and condition of the computer (but you can feel free to make an offer). Please get in tough with any questions or for additional information.

Thanks for your time!

Actually, they are very rare. All the low end notebooks have 1280x800 or similar resolution screens. That's 1,024,000 pixels on a low end notebook compared to 1,470,000 pixels on the ThinkPad. The difference is huge as are the limitations of only 800 vertical pixels.

You can get a nice Toshiba Satellite Core2 Duo with 2GB of RAM and a 250GB hard drive from Best Buy (like I just did for my wife) right now for $439. Then again, it has that 1280x800 15" widescreen and it feels like it''ll come apart if you open and close it too often.

Take a look at notebooks with high resolution 15" screens if you want to compare. Most on eBay have lower resolution or are only 14" screens. They also tend to have less memory and hard drive and a slower processor, not to mention a single questionable battery.

Thanks for the offer. I'll definitely keep it in mind but I'm not even close to that point yet (especially with the extra battery and AC/DC adapter). Thanks also everyone who has e-mailed or PM'ed me so far with questions.

For that money I can get an HP with a dual core, twice the storage capacity, twice the ram, same screen. I'd pay $350 for it (still more than they go for on ebay) if you're interested.

Edited by OpenTrackRacer

Okay, I missed the resolution first time around. How's $415?

Actually, they are very rare. All the low end notebooks have 1280x800 or similar resolution screens. That's 1,024,000 pixels on a low end notebook compared to 1,470,000 pixels on the ThinkPad. The difference is huge as are the limitations of only 800 vertical pixels.

You can get a nice Toshiba Satellite Core2 Duo with 2GB of RAM and a 250GB hard drive from Best Buy (like I just did for my wife) right now for $439. Then again, it has that 1280x800 15" widescreen and it feels like it''ll come apart if you open and close it too often.

Take a look at notebooks with high resolution 15" screens if you want to compare. Most on eBay have lower resolution or are only 14" screens. They also tend to have less memory and hard drive and a slower processor, not to mention a single questionable battery.

Thanks for the offer. I'll definitely keep it in mind but I'm not even close to that point yet (especially with the extra battery and AC/DC adapter). Thanks also everyone who has e-mailed or PM'ed me so far with questions.