Getting ready for the camping events - how do you replace fibre glass tent poles?

Hi everyone,

some fibre glass poles last year snapped, sheared whatever you want to call it. As the weather wasn't too windy, I got them to last the season. However, in anticipation of the South Wales event (3 weeks away!) I needed to get this sorted.

I have the replacement fibre glass poles. I have spare ferrules, I have spigots (see, I have been doing my research!), I have spare shock cord, I have a long metal needley thing. I know what my goal is, replace a couple of the middle lengths of pole with new ones.

A) How do I undo the shock cord? The end is buried inside a ferrule thingy and the ferrule thingy is unscrewable?

:lol: Do I have to replace the shock cord completely or do I (once I've figured out A) above) unthread the current shock cord, replace middle sections and just thread back in again?

If you know of a link with the how-tos and where-fors that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation and see you at a camping event this year, I've got South Wales, north Wales juggling, Yorkshire Dales Camping Yeti thing, Piratemania and the Mega Event lined up so the poles definitely need doing! :rolleyes:

A) How do I undo the shock cord? The end is buried inside a ferrule thingy and the ferrule thingy is unscrewable?

:lol: Do I have to replace the shock cord completely or do I (once I've figured out A) above) unthread the current shock cord, replace middle sections and just thread back in again?

A) Application of a sharp knife :rolleyes:

:mad: I'd just replace it all - tie a knot in one end, thread it through all the sections, then pull a fair length out to tension it - a good 1/2 pole length, maybe more - I generally work by feel. Tie a knot, trim off excess and let it spring back up the end of the last section.

HTH

Edited by hawkeye81

I use a pair of ordinary tweezers to grab the cord inside the ferrule thingy and then either undo the knot or cut it off. You already have the needle so it is quite a simple job of replacing the broken poles.