Is an expensive GPS really needed for cacheing?

I guess what I what to know is, is an expensive GPS so much better than a cheaper one. I really like this crazy hobby and I am willing to INVEST in a nicer one if it will help find the cache easier. I have a garmin legend right now for the trails. I also have a nuvi 260w. It seems like the nuvi has better reception in the woods. What shouild I get? If the money factor only gives me a color screen, it's not so important. But, If It does better on the trail, That's the one for me. :P Please help me deside.

It depends on what you want and need. I have the nuvi 260w and find the reception horrible compared to high sensitivity units. In my basement, the nuvi can't get a reception, but an Etrex H unit has no problem locking in.

Compared to your garmin legend, you'll find upgrading to an etrex high sensitivity unit worth it.

I guess what I what to know is, is an expensive GPS so much better than a cheaper one. I really like this crazy hobby and I am willing to INVEST in a nicer one if it will help find the cache easier. I have a garmin legend right now for the trails. I also have a nuvi 260w. It seems like the nuvi has better reception in the woods. What shouild I get? If the money factor only gives me a color screen, it's not so important. But, If It does better on the trail, That's the one for me. :P Please help me deside.

Yeah, you can get by with the Nuvi that you have, but a handheld unit is more convienient, it doesn't have to be an expensive one though. I personally have a Garmin 60CSx, but you could get by with a cheaper one, such as a Vista, or even a really poor one such as a Geko. There are lots of threads on here about which one to get, everybody has a different opinion.

Expensive is a relative term; what $ to you defines the line between expensive, and not expensive?

The DeLorme PN-20 is arguably the best value in the h/h market today, under $200.00, sometimes substantially. Maps included!

Search is your friend, this question gets asked quite a lot, @ least twice a week.

Just punch in the model #s of the devices that strike your fancy, you'll be busy for a week @ least.

It's a sociological adventure as well . . ;^)

Norm

I dont know if you are still checking this but here ya go. A GPS is nice but not at all needed. I myself am just getting started, but i am a GIS professional and do a great deal of work with the US National Grid. I find that it is the absolute best way to find anything. Also the best way to use USNG is on paper maps with a romer scale. For more info please go to our website http://mississippi.deltastate.edu. Hope this was helpfull and maybe even a gauntlet challenge for you.

Ha! "mmaloney" just beat me to it.

A GPS is entirely optional. I'm not even sure it makes the cache hunting any easier; depends on your own skills and inclinations. A lot of cachers will tell you not to worry about the GPS putting you right on the spot, just get close and then start looking around -- well, I can get CLOSE without the GPS :P Print out a cache description, get a good map ... and maybe a high-res aerial photo from Google Maps or other online mapping/imagery sources... and for most caches you're already as far along as any GPS will get you.

The cheap (or expensive) GPS does enable a lot of other activities though, useful for more than just caching.

Edited by lee_rimar