How to get clues and "friendly" cache names on GPS

simscachers

Hi

I have the Garmin Etrex Legend Hcx. We recently became Premium Members as we are having so much fun and wanted to be able to run queries.

My question is.....When I was dowloading the coordinates from the caches webpage (using the GPX exchange file button and then opening the download with EasyGPS), I was not able to get the clues or the user friendly cache name (cache nickname).

Can someone please help?

Oh, one more thing. If I did the InstaNotify page correctly (I want new cache listings so I might get an FTF for once!), how long till the emails will be coming?

Thanks

Simscachers

You'll need GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to transfer the caches with hints and/or partial descriptions. It is very flexible - takes a bit to learn but many friendly folks in thier forums.

As for the insta-notify - as soon as a cache is published that met your criteria in the setup - you will get an email shortly thereafter.

In EasyGPS, click Edit/Preferences/My GPS Receivers. Select or add your GPS, and then click the Geocaching button. This will allow you to specify exactly what data gets sent to your GPS. You can send hints and the friendly name of geocaches using this EasyGPS setting.

Thanks for the info. I followed your instructions and I had the preferences correct. Any further suggestions? Appreciate it

Edited by simscachers

I'm having a similar problem and decided not to create a new topic, but rather expand on this one. I recently bought a Garmin Colorado 300T and can transfer geocahces alright, but cannot for the life of me get the cache size or hints/logs to transfer to the GPS. I have tried both EasyGPS and GSAK. Niehter of them work for me. I prefer using EasyGPS, but all teh setting I tweek cannot get them to transfer. How are other Geocachers going paperless and adding these to their 'Geocaching friendly' GPS's? One note, the Garmin manual has very minimal info on geocaching. The communication between Garmin and Groudspeak is good, but there needs to be more support for issues and directions such as these.

I'm having a similar problem and decided not to create a new topic, but rather expand on this one. I recently bought a Garmin Colorado 300T and can transfer geocahces alright, but cannot for the life of me get the cache size or hints/logs to transfer to the GPS. I have tried both EasyGPS and GSAK. Niehter of them work for me. I prefer using EasyGPS, but all teh setting I tweek cannot get them to transfer. How are other Geocachers going paperless and adding these to their 'Geocaching friendly' GPS's? One note, the Garmin manual has very minimal info on geocaching. The communication between Garmin and Groudspeak is good, but there needs to be more support for issues and directions such as these.

No - problem - it is easy.

Hook up the Colorado in mass storage mode - it will appear as a drive.

From any cache listing page you can download the GPX file - put it in the [drive]:\garmin\gpx folder on the Colorado.

or....

Take the unzipped GPX file that is the result of a pocket Query and put it in the same folder. http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm for a tutorial.

You can have up to 2000 geocaches spread across up to 200 GPX files on that unit.

Unhook and go caching!!

No - problem - it is easy.

Hook up the Colorado in mass storage mode - it will appear as a drive.

From any cache listing page you can download the GPX file - put it in the [drive]:\garmin\gpx folder on the Colorado.

or....

Take the unzipped GPX file that is the result of a pocket Query and put it in the same folder. http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm for a tutorial.

You can have up to 2000 geocaches spread across up to 200 GPX files on that unit.

Unhook and go caching!!

Wow! that was a fast reply! Thanks, I can't wait to get home and give that a try. It sounds like I don't really need to struggle with the software afterall.