HTC Dream (G1)

nickismee80

Hello..

I am new to geocaching.

I have just upgraded to a HTC dream and i heard it can be used for geocaching.

I have put geobeagle on to the phone, but now im lost, I haven't got a clue what to do now. If anyone could help me out, maybe step by step it would be very very very appreciated.

Many thanks x x x

I'm going to be completely honest with you here, and maybe my ripe old age of 32 has something to do with it...but I have been Geocaching since 2004 and I have never heard of what you just typed up here...any of it.

If you are really interested in getting into Geocaching, then go out and pick up and actual GPS that will be your dedicated Geocaching tool.

I understand the need or desire these days to be able to "do-it-all" with one device, including blending a margarita with your cellphone/gps/computer/tracking device/whatchamacallit ///////...you get the idea?

not trying to beat you up here, I just see this alot and wish people would unclutter.

Good luck.

Hello fellow G1 cacher!

I also own a G1 and have recently found out the joys of geocaching. The HTC G1 works for this fun hobby!

1st. Install GeoBeagle from the Android Market.

2nd. Install Radar from A.M. also.

3rd. Become a member (preminum member) if you can afford it. Being a P.M. you have more access to the site and other things that will help you keep track of your finds. I'd suggest you try the free membership though if your not 100% sure you'll be a constant geocacher.

This is how you can do this w/o being a p.m.

Turn on GeoBeagle, then under the GPS status bring down the tab and select Groundspeak inc. geocaches.

Next hit the Online List right underneath it. This will bring you to the geocaching website. (this is done via your G1 by the way so no pc needed)

Here you can either hit the "hide and seek" button or you can enter your zip code to look for caches in your area.

After you hit either or, select a cache and it should open another window with the cache info, along with the locations and posts from other geocachers.

Once your at this page what you wanna do it scroll down towards the middle of the page "for online maps..." select the "google maps" and this will prompt you to open it with various apps. What you wanna do is default the GeoBeagle so that it sends the coordinates to it always.

After selecting this it will open up Geobeagle and the coordinates on it will now be for the cache you just selected.

You will have the option to open the radar or map for this cache towards the bottom of GeoBeagle.

Walk,bike, or drive near the cache and hit the radar button and it will show your the distance and general location the cache is located at.

The good thing about doing it like this is that if you decide to not look for this cache for what ever reason, you can open up GeoBeagle and hit the offline list and it will show you all of the caches you've looked up using the google maps from the cache page. (not sure if you understand me lol)

Knowing this you can look at the caches via your map and decide to make a list of caches you can look for and always have access to the info via the "offline list".

I hope this helps you somewhat :P

ohhhhhh and one more thing! Although you might have looked up various caches via geocaching.com and they are saved on your GeoBeagle, they will only show up on your "offline list" if your 5miles from it. At first I thought I had lost them but I emailed the GeoBeagle team and they informed me that the caches will only show up on GeoBeagle if your G1 is 5Miles from the location. Its also in a 5mile square perimater.

I'm having a great time geocaching with my G1 and geocaching.com!!!!!!

G1 works fine with this but I might be considering buying a gps device in the upcoming months. .. .maybe a xmas present for me... lol.

This will drain your battery quick so try to get a general idea of where you'll be going to hunt these caches so that you only use your G1 GeoBeagle only when your near the location...

ok I think i've ranted long enough.... lol Please reply if this helps you or if you have other questions.

Edited by RegulatorG1

Hi RegulatorG1. I'm even older than the gentleman that replied just before you so I don't understand any of your explanation, but the important thing is I'll bet the person who asked for help does understand. I just wanted to say it's refreshing to see people giving helpful step by step instructions! I suspect your detailed answer will not only help the person that asked the question, but probably others that will (or have) similar problems. You did good! Keep up the good work!!!! :)

Hello..

I am new to geocaching.

I have just upgraded to a HTC dream and i heard it can be used for geocaching.

I have put geobeagle on to the phone, but now im lost, I haven't got a clue what to do now. If anyone could help me out, maybe step by step it would be very very very appreciated.

Many thanks x x x

I use the G1 for geocaching and it works great. The best feature of having a phone/gps combo is that you can pull up geocache's on the fly without having to prepare ahead of time and print out pages. I use "geodroid" from the Android Market, which is a paid app but GeoBeagle should work great as well. I won't rehash what RegulatorG1 said since it was said so well. Follow that and you will be on your way to geocaching. :blink:

38 year old/G1 owner/Newbie Geocacher

Thank you for the info regulatorg1. I was actually using the gpx button and downloading it to my g1. I'll try it your way, seems to be less of a hastle. The g1 has been great to get me started in the sport but I have come across a few instances where an actual gps was needed. Bad weather and heavy cover the g1 wasn't so great. The radar would bounce so much that we never did find the caches but for it being a cell phone you can't complain. I do intend on buying a pn-40 in the near future. From what i've read so far it seems to be the best paperless setup out there besides the g1 of course hehe

I'm glad my post helped you. :huh:

I understand what you say on how the gps sometimes goes nuts and that's one reason on why I'll be buying a gps probably in a few months. I do enjoy the fact that I can fire up the geobeagle from any place and it will open up geocaching.com with the list of caches in the area of where I'm at.

Well happy hunting :D

p.s. thanks for the email Michigan Cacheman. you made my day when I read it. :laughing:

Not to thread jack; On the phone/GPS units, I would guess that they do not need cell recepting for the GPS part to function?

Thanx.

No, you don't need to have a cell signal for the GPS to work. But it's good when you do have a signal so you can look at the cache page, get hints, read logs, see the map, log the cache, etc.

I just got a G1 a few days ago and have found 2 caches using GeoBeagle so far. Takes a bit getting used to the Radar screen, but I think I'll get the hang of it.

I've recently started caching with my G1, I can't afford a full GPS yet.

Using GeoBeagle works great for my needs, I am curious, though, about how it handles GPX files. I might have to try a 3 month membership just to see.

I also LOVE the radar. Being an avid gamer (video games) the radar is second nature to me, I wish all GPS systems had this feature as an option.