Topo map storage size

joezha

I am thinking about getting the etrex Summit HC which has 24mb of storage space. Does the base map that comes with it take up any of that 24mb? When I load topo maps on there, how many maps will I be able to fit? How big of an area? Will I find my self switching out maps between caching trips? I live in Wisconsin, not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give.

Edited by joezha

The base map doesn't use any of the 24mb. The area that you will be able to cover depends on the map you use. With Ibycus USA maps (free at gpsfiledepot.com) you will get road coverage of about half of Wisconsin. With Garmin's Topo 2008 you will get a bit less. If you use the free topos you get more detail, but for less area.

Load mapsource

Load free topomaps at gpsfiledepot.com from the state(s) you need

In mapsource you see the amount of memory needed when you select a part of a map

The Garmin Topo 2008 whole Wi takes about 30Mb, that's a total of a lot of small maps, if you just want to use a single map of it you will be ok.

But to be honest 24 Mb is not much, many users have 2-4 GB Sd's and even then, many have more then one sd :lol:

At least take a gps with a sd slot

When I load topo maps on there, how many maps will I be able to fit? How big of an area? Will I find my self switching out maps between caching trips? I live in Wisconsin, not sure if that makes a difference.

Depends, depends, depends.

Depends on the size of the quad/tile and detail (mainly topo contour interval) the map author decided to use. I varried my quad size to keep the .img map files around 1Mb each, with 15x15' the mininum; metro areas with lots of streets (like Milwaukee) could be as large as 2-3Mb for a 15x15' quad; rural areas might have a 30x60' quad of 1Mb size - average for WI was probably 15x30'.

Depends on how far you range on caching trips. A quad and the eight that surround it probably would not go over 12-15Mb. If you are away from the lakes and range 100+ miles in all directions - way more the 24Mb.

If the model you like has an 'x' version (uses micro SD card for maps) and you can afford it, get that version, as you will have space for vacation areas, etc.

A tutorial at gpsfiledepot tells you how to get a working copy of MapSource from Garmin. Download the WI mapset (self-installing). MapSource will tell you the size of the quads you are selecting (and total).

I just purchased two Summit's ..for my wife and myself. We are very satisfied with them. I went to: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ and downloaded a topo map of one area where we are going geocaching this weekend. Downloading the map was pretty straightforward but there is no info in the Summit owner's manual on how to download, or how to restore the basemap so be prepared to figure it out yourself. From what I've observed (haven't been in the field with the topo map yet) the small screen size of the Summit makes it hard for me to observe the topo detail. I'm not sure if the topo map will be helpful finding the cache. We have been using the compass page to get close, and then using the lat/long readout to be precise. Hope this info is helpful.

I am thinking about getting the etrex Summit HC which has 24mb of storage space. Does the base map that comes with it take up any of that 24mb? When I load topo maps on there, how many maps will I be able to fit? How big of an area? Will I find my self switching out maps between caching trips? I live in Wisconsin, not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give.

With Topo 2008 it takes about 60MB. I just loaded it for myself. Where are you in Wisconsin?