Backtracking on a Garmin GPSMAP60CSx or 60Cs

Tegiro

I am looking to buy a Garmin GPSMAP60CSx or CS, even though I am using a Nuvï 350.

The reason is that I sometimes get a bit disoriented when going deep in the bush looking for a cache.

It bothers me that I have done this a few times. So...as the Nuvï 350 does not do "backtracking" (for lack of an appropriate Garmin function word) I wonder if the Garmin GPSMAP60CS or CSx would allow me to go deeeeep into the woods searching for a cache, BUT, at the same time record my path, steps or whatever to the cache, and IF I do become disoriented use the "backtracking" feature to get back to my starting point, using the exact way I first came in?

BTW, is it possible to do this with my Nuvï 350?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I am looking to buy a Garmin GPSMAP60CSx or CS, even though I am using a Nuvï 350.

The reason is that I sometimes get a bit disoriented when going deep in the bush looking for a cache.

It bothers me that I have done this a few times. So...as the Nuvï 350 does not do "backtracking" (for lack of an appropriate Garmin function word) I wonder if the Garmin GPSMAP60CS or CSx would allow me to go deeeeep into the woods searching for a cache, BUT, at the same time record my path, steps or whatever to the cache, and IF I do become disoriented use the "backtracking" feature to get back to my starting point, using the exact way I first came in?

Hi there, yes the GPSMAP 60CSx & Cx for sure have the ability you are talking about. It records a track (digital bread crumb trail) and allows you to follow it back out, perfect for hikes deep in the woods. One tip that I can give from the school of experience while looking for this cache GCZ1B3 was to additionally mark special waypoints you might come across, like beaver dams or a memorable fallen over tree or whatever. I found that in super thick brush, we were following game trails most of the time, which was easier when we were heading back to the car too. Having the beaver dam marked (that we had to cross to get over a lake) and navigating towards it through game trails was easier than using the units back track feature which would take us out on the same route we came in on, but may not have been as easy as other game trails we found. --- I hope this makes sense! ? ! :lol:

I can't comment on the Nuvï.

I wonder if the Garmin GPSMAP60CS or CSx would allow me to go deeeeep into the woods searching for a cache, BUT, at the same time record my path, steps or whatever to the cache, and IF I do become disoriented use the "backtracking" feature to get back to my starting point, using the exact way I first came in?

Yes the 60 series will do that (as will many/most/all?) of the other Garmin handhelds. The 60c_x might be overkill, but I certainly do love mine.

The possibility of getting in trouble even with a GPS is real. One time I walked way into a wooded area adjacent to some business parks. I found the cache after substantial crawling around in underbrush. I had my parking spot waypointed but couldn't "get back there from here" as the crow flies because of fences around the business park. I spent about 15mins trying some different approaches and started to feel worried and foolish. I mean, I knew EXACTLY where my car was parked and couldn't get to it. So i used the trackback to get me about 100m back down the trail where everything started looking familiar again. I was much relieved.

Of course, this kind of thing will only save you if:

* the gps has signal under the canopy (this dictates having something with a High Sensitivity receiver like the 60-series or the new H models, etc) ; and,

* you have the tracks turned on (IIRC)

Edited by fratermus

* the gps has signal under the canopy (this dictates having something with a High Sensitivity receiver like the 60-series or the new H models, etc) ; and,

Yes, you do have to have tracks turned on to use the Backtrack feature. I found this out the hard way just a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time in months I really needed to use Backtrack, and discovered I hadn't turned on tracks. Took me forever to find my way out of those deep woods .... ;)

--Larry

Yes, you do have to have tracks turned on to use the Backtrack feature. I found this out the hard way just a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time in months I really needed to use Backtrack, and discovered I hadn't turned on tracks. Took me forever to find my way out of those deep woods .... ;)

--Larry

I'm seriously puzzled here........why would anyone, EVER, have "tracks" turned "OFF" ?????

Trackpoints are "Free"( or reasonably inexpensive if you catch them on sale), and there is an unlimited supply. (as long as the Clear button remains functional)

..........all tongue in cheek..........

I'm seriously puzzled here........why would anyone, EVER, have "tracks" turned "OFF" ?????

It's not necessarily that anyone turns them off, rather that they might not have ever been turned on.

I think they were defaulted to off when I unpacked my 201, eMap, Legend, and 60cx. If that memory is correct, perhaps it was a privacy concerns at Garmin. Don't want people calling up incensed that their GPSr is tracking everywhere they go. Not as far-fetched as it might seem: TiVo and the TiVo forums regularly get screamers who are freaked out that "TiVo is recording stuff I didn't tell it to!!!??!!??!!" (i.e. the Suggestions feature).

Edited by fratermus

I wonder if the Garmin GPSMAP60CS or CSx would allow me to go deeeeep into the woods searching for a cache, BUT, at the same time record my path, steps or whatever to the cache, and IF I do become disoriented use the "backtracking" feature to get back to my starting point, using the exact way I first came in?

Yes the 60 series will do that (as will many/most/all?) of the other Garmin handhelds. The 60c_x might be overkill, but I certainly do love mine.

The possibility of getting in trouble even with a GPS is real. One time I walked way into a wooded area adjacent to some business parks. I found the cache after substantial crawling around in underbrush. I had my parking spot waypointed but couldn't "get back there from here" as the crow flies because of fences around the business park. I spent about 15mins trying some different approaches and started to feel worried and foolish. I mean, I knew EXACTLY where my car was parked and couldn't get to it. So i used the trackback to get me about 100m back down the trail where everything started looking familiar again. I was much relieved.

Not to be a smart@-- but were the fences 20 foot tall with razor ribbon or a fence you did not want to cross due to trespassing issues? If you want to keep using the NUVI pick up a cheap handheld unit just to keep a tracklog. If you plan on going into dense or disorienting woods; always make sure you mark your start point and pay attention to your surroundings.

Thank you to all who have answered my query. They have provided me with the answer I was looking for and, I see it has opened a larger discussion...interesting to follow.

Tegiro

Not to be a smart@-- but were the fences 20 foot tall with razor ribbon or a fence you did not want to cross due to trespassing issues?

The cache area was down in a low spot with low hills on either side. The fences were on top of retaining walls, so even if I wanted to scale them it would be about 20' of retaining wall then 10' of fence on top of that.

I have a concealed carry license that would be negatively impacted by arrest or involvement in illegal activities. This makes me unusally averse to breaking the law, even if the infractions appear to be trivial. It also reminds me that sometimes fence-jumpers get shot in Texas. I would prefer to remain unventilated.

Edited to add: I have in fact tangled with razorwire during my Army enlistment, and have the scars on my arms and chest to show for it. I actively avoid concertina nowadays.

Edited by fratermus

I updated the software in my Summit HC recently, and discovered to my horror a couple of weeks later that in the process of updating, track recording had been turned off. (It was particularly annoying, because I had just done a remote site inspection, and I wanted the track-logs to geo-tag all my photos.)

Lesson to all - every time you update the system software / firmware, check that ALL settings are the way you like them (including tracklogs, etc)!

I turn tracks off when I'm at home and the GPSr is sitting on my desk connected to my PC (and drawing its power from the computer). If I didn't turn tracking off, I would wind up with this humongous bogus track log showing how the gadget's apparent location wandered all over my immediate neighborhood. :P

Of course, this means I need to remember to turn tracking back on when I take it out of the house ....

--Larry

Not to be a smart@-- but were the fences 20 foot tall with razor ribbon or a fence you did not want to cross due to trespassing issues?

The cache area was down in a low spot with low hills on either side. The fences were on top of retaining walls, so even if I wanted to scale them it would be about 20' of retaining wall then 10' of fence on top of that.

I have a concealed carry license that would be negatively impacted by arrest or involvement in illegal activities. This makes me unusally averse to breaking the law, even if the infractions appear to be trivial. It also reminds me that sometimes fence-jumpers get shot in Texas. I would prefer to remain unventilated.

Edited to add: I have in fact tangled with razorwire during my Army enlistment, and have the scars on my arms and chest to show for it. I actively avoid concertina nowadays.

Thanks for the explanation. PA has a similar issue with CCW and trespassing. I meant no offense; the visualization I had was a guy that couldn't or wouldn't climb a 5 foot fence in a public place(ball field, park)

Thank you for your service.