Hamilton Area Geocacher Needs Help Going Paperless-Oregon 300

cache lizzy cache

Hi Everyone,

I have just purchased an Oregon 300, which is supposed to be very simple.......but so far I am not finding it that way. I am a Premimum member and would like to be able to download pocket query files to the unit. When connected to my computer, I can not even get the unit to come on.

I am looking for a techie person that could meet me and set up my computer and GPS so that they work together...I'm sure that it is something that I am doing wrong, but can't figure out.

I would be willing to buy the coffee, dinner or reimburse you for your time. I just want to geocache again.

OR, if anyone is using an Oregon 300 that could offer some suggetions that would be great.

Thanks,

cache lizzy cache

I can now turn on the unit while it is plugged into the computer, that was the spanner setting. Thanks, I got the answer from the site you suggested.

I have tried to download and install the software, but the file on the garmin website is corrupt. It goes through the entire process and then says corrupt.

Can this unit download from the pocket query without using gsak?

thanks for your help!

liz

Further to above, I have GSAK set up to, with 3 mouse clicks, load the closest 1900 unfound caches to my house, load all the associated child waypoints as POI's and load the 2200+ caches I have found into the OR. Takes about 3 minutes of processing but only 3 mouse clicks.

GSAK Rocks!!!

Try the following:

(1) Using File Manager, delete all .gpx files under /Garmin/GPX on the OR This will delete any potentially corrupt files.

(2) Go to gc.com and select a cache. Click on the Send to GPS and write the cache to the OR.

(3) Power up the OR and you should see that cache.

This will tell us if there is a problem with your OR.

i have gsak, i used it with my little yellow etrex and it worked.

i have tried to download caches to this new unit on three laptops with no success.

my gsak program sees the 300 waypoints i want to download, but i can't actually get them to transfer over.

That's because you may need to download a macro for GSAK so that it can communicate with the Oregon;

Please see here for info.

You do not need a macro to communicate with the Oregon, GSAK can export caches to the Oregon if it (the oregon) is selected in GSAK as the type of GPS to export to.

-->> Make sure the GPS is connected and turned on....

Under GPS menu, select Setup, and use Garmin and selct model (Oregon 300)

Then go to GPS menu again, select Send waypoints and ensure it shows "Send options for Oregon 300/400" in the upper corner.

Once you elect send waypoints it should send them to the GPS

i have gsak, i used it with my little yellow etrex and it worked.

i have tried to download caches to this new unit on three laptops with no success.

my gsak program sees the 300 waypoints i want to download, but i can't actually get them to transfer over.

That's because you may need to download a macro for GSAK so that it can communicate with the Oregon;

Please see here for info.