GPS

TrevP

I am about to get started and want to know the best GPS unit to buy. I was considering buying a Garmin, probably the Oregan unit but, I am very partial to OS mapping and am not sure that Garmin works with this. Does anyone have any experience with this one, good/bad? Is there anything else that I should consider. Any helpful feedback would be very welcome..

You should seriously consider a Satmap Active 10. It use 1:25k or 1:50k OS maps. the unit costs between £250 - £300 and you buy the OS maps separately. You can buy custom maps covering varying distances from a centre point that you choose, or you can buy counties, national parks or regions. I have had one of these units for 8 months and have been very happy with it. They have a stand and next weekends OS outdoor show at the Birmingham NEC.

If you are going to decide on either the Oregon or Colorado because OS maps are now available on them, I wouldn't choose the Colorado at the moment. The quality of the OS maps on it are poor. A software update was released to sort out these issues on the Oregon, so I stupidly spent £115 on the Snowdonia National Park map thinking that the Colorado update would soon follow. Still waiting, yet the Oregon has had a further 2 updates since. :ph34r:

I faced this dilemma a while back but followed a different route. I already had quite a few memory maps covering most of the South West plus some National Parks and didn't fancy spending loadsamoney buying them all again for the Satmap Active. Eventually I went for a Mio P550 which allows me to use my existing maps, using it in conjunction with GSAK I'm now completely paperless and love the device. It's not as rugged as a dedicated GPS and the battery life isn't brill but with an extender and additional case it's doing the job well for me now.

You should seriously consider a Satmap Active 10. It use 1:25k or 1:50k OS maps. the unit costs between £250 - £300 and you buy the OS maps separately. You can buy custom maps covering varying distances from a centre point that you choose, or you can buy counties, national parks or regions. I have had one of these units for 8 months and have been very happy with it. They have a stand and next weekends OS outdoor show at the Birmingham NEC.

Thanks very much, I will investigate at the NEc. I must say that I am a member of an adventure racing forum and it is very rare to get such enthusiastic and helpful replies so quickly.

I faced this dilemma a while back but followed a different route. I already had quite a few memory maps covering most of the South West plus some National Parks and didn't fancy spending loadsamoney buying them all again for the Satmap Active. Eventually I went for a Mio P550 which allows me to use my existing maps, using it in conjunction with GSAK I'm now completely paperless and love the device. It's not as rugged as a dedicated GPS and the battery life isn't brill but with an extender and additional case it's doing the job well for me now.

Thanks very much for this. I dont have memory maps but I will think this option through. Thank you for your advice

If you are going to decide on either the Oregon or Colorado because OS maps are now available on them, I wouldn't choose the Colorado at the moment. The quality of the OS maps on it are poor. A software update was released to sort out these issues on the Oregon, so I stupidly spent £115 on the Snowdonia National Park map thinking that the Colorado update would soon follow. Still waiting, yet the Oregon has had a further 2 updates since. :D

Yes a couple of people have given the Oregan good reviews, it is expensive though. Thanks for your advice.

Sorry, just re-read my post and realised I hadn't explained that Memory Maps are OS maps. I managed to get the whole of the UK in Landranger 50k for just under £15 and most of the South West (my immediate area) in Explorer 25K for £25 off a well known online auction site. Once you have everything set up on you PC you export what you want to your PDA, there's bound to be various demo's at the NEC, I had hoped to be there myself, but had to cancel. Have fun :)