How do you...

ross&megan

How do you go about asking for permission? Do you go prepared with a business card or brochure that has info about geocaching and your contact info (incase the owner or person you need to talk to isn't there)? Do you talk to them about other local locations that already have given permission for caches? I'm trying to find out the best way to go about informing our perspective areas about geocaching and convensing them that it is a legit worldwide sport/hobby that other 'land' owners participate in by allowing us to hide caches on their property.

thanks!

It really depends on where you want to place the cache. Some will require more prep than others.

I have one that I wanted to place at a business that is in the old railroad depot that used to serve the community. I just approached the owner and explained Geocaching, where I wanted to hide it, and the reason I wanted to (highlight the historical nature of the building). He was proud of the building and liked the fact I was going to explain its origins and granted permission. Took just a few moments.

Another one was a multi-cache at a local historical home. That one took 3 months to get running. I figured out a couple of places I would hide the final, did the foot work to figure out the waypoints, made sure that they had the seekers notice the info signs, and then I asked the manager for an appointment. I explained Geocaching to her and why I wanted to hide one on the property. Because I took the time to make sure it took people all over the grounds and I worked with her to come up with a final placement, they approved it.

Some huge parking lots with multiple stores it is next to impossible to figure out who is in charge, you may want to talk to any of the businesses that may see what is going on.

You may want to check with local cachers and find out if the parks departments in your area have any regulations for cache placements.