Amazon

I recently purchased a Delorme PN-40 from Amazon. I tried the unit for about two weeks (maybe two days of actual use) and decided to return it to Amazon. The unit was too complicated for my wife to use. I followed their procedure for returns and returned the unit.

On Friday I received an e-mail message from Amazon indicating that I was being charged a restocking fee of $170. I spoke with customer service who indicated that the restocking fee was for damage to the item. I advised them that the only thing I did to the unit was take off the plastic film that covers the screen and that the unit looked brand new when I returned it.

I also advised them that Delorme has a 30 day money back offer that allowed me to use the unit before sending it back.

Amazon customer service has put in a fee retraction request for me. The representative said that I would be hearing back from them within 24 to 48 hours.

I’ll update this post with their response.

Well that's rather moronic. If they have to request a "retraction letter" to be approved by someone else the someone else is who should be working with you to begin with.

That said since you are where you are with them. If they come back later and tell you that your fee retraction request was rejected I'd ask them for the GPS back. You can sell it and get back more of your money than that restocking fee's going to do for you.

Some of their policies are rather goofy. I spend a dollar or two with them, and recently I bought a second MP3 player for the wife. Between the time I ordered it and received it, the price dropped about $8. I called them about it, and I had to fight tooth-and-nail to get a 'one-time' customer accommodation to get an $8 credit.

Any retail store will gladly issue a credit rather than risk a return. Wonder why they think they don't need to promote good will?

I'd find out who the actual vendor is thru Amazon and write DeLorme a nice letter about their vendor's interpetation of DeLorme's 30 day return policy. Sounds like an unscrupulous vendor, of which DeLorme may not be aware of and certainly doesn't want tarnishing their name.

All

Thanks for your comments and recommendations regarding my problem. Fortunately Amazon refunded the stocking fee this morning.

One note: I took advantage of the Amazon Credit card which offered 90 days no interest. I won't do this again. I don't believe they would have allowed me to dispute the stocking fee or any purchase problems I had using the credit card.

All

Thanks for your comments and recommendations regarding my problem. Fortunately Amazon refunded the stocking fee this morning.

One note: I took advantage of the Amazon Credit card which offered 90 days no interest. I won't do this again. I don't believe they would have allowed me to dispute the stocking fee or any purchase problems I had using the credit card.

Whew! :)