How do I go paperless?

Brassine Family

After traveling today and not having much info to take a break and do some caching, I got home and became a premium member.

In the past I would download caches to my summit hc and hand write notes and the hints.

Is there away to have access to the cache info and hints without me writing it all down? I found you can use smart phones etc. I have a palm treo 700w which is windows based but its not activated due to not being able to receive a signal, but I always have it with me for the kids to play games that are saved on it etc. can i purchase or download a program that I can send the info about the cache and hints to an SD card then bring it up on my 700w? Or, is there a cheap PDA I can purchase to put the info on there?

I travel a 50mile radius from home with a moments notice.

Any and all help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

Edited by Brassine Family

Cachemate is one program that runs on a palm OS and will store cache information. You need to use CMCONVERT, a utility that comes with cachemate, to convert the gpx files to a .pdb that can be loaded on the palm. Others use spinner and plucker for cache info. A google of paperless geocaching will turn up some information.

Jim

You could also use GSAK to export some of the cache data into the GPX and then load that to the eTrex.

does it give the info of what I am looking for and the hints??? I am currently using the trial period and all I have managed to figure out is how to do upload the caches coords on my gps and thats it. don't want to spend 25 bucks just to get instructions to find out I don't like it.

Edited by Brassine Family

Well, you can use it forever without paying. The nagging just gets worse over time, but since you just started using it, you have plenty of time.

Look in the help section of GSAK for "Smart Codes". This will give you information about what can be exported and how its done.

You can export the SmartName as well as part of the hint and several other pieces of information. Bear in mind that that unit has a limit on the number of characters that it will read in the different fields, so you will only get partial information.

But having that along with the Pocket Queries (that you can get by being a Premium Member) loaded into your PDA will get you where you want to go.

Paperless Caching @ Geocacher U...a good primer for what you can expect.

HeadHardHat's Video Series on paperless caching.

And if those aren't enough, a Google Search on Paperless Geocaching

To answer your question, you should be able to find someway to send the peperless files to your Treo.

If you use CacheMate, I'd also pay for and use GSAK. It makes filtering the caches and sending just the ones you want to your GPSr and PDA so much easier.

Edited by Allanon

Paperless Caching @ Geocacher U...a good primer for what you can expect.

HeadHardHat's Video Series on paperless caching.

And if those aren't enough, a Google Search on Paperless Geocaching

To answer your question, you should be able to find someway to send the peperless files to your Treo.

If you use CacheMate, I'd also pay for and use GSAK. It makes filtering the caches and sending just the ones you want to your GPSr and PDA so much easier.

AWSOME!!!!!!! thank you very much!!!!!