Permission

AZcachemeister

An Earthcache has recently been published in the Superstition Wilderness area here in Arizona.

I would also like to have one published there, and asked the owner of the existing one for a contact name to get permission for mine.

I was informed that no permission was sought/obtained/believed necessary.

I have nothing against this owner, and only want to do the right thing.

Is Forest Service permission necessary for an Earthcache inside a Wilderness area?

Yes. Permission is an absolute must.

EarthCaches that are submitted without permission information are rejected. EC that are submitted with misleading or false information are treated very seriously indeed with potentially serious consequences for the developer.

EarthCaches that are submitted without permission information are rejected. EC that are submitted with misleading or false information are treated very seriously indeed with potentially serious consequences for the developer.

That was my understanding.

The listing in question seems like a virtual in disguise. (not that I haven't seen many others that would fall under the same category)

How should I proceed?

The listing in question seems like a virtual in disguise. (not that I haven't seen many others that would fall under the same category)

How should I proceed?

Not sure about the permission issue but I can think of a few around here that are virts in disguise as well. Kinda sad to see them as they show a serious lack of quality.

How should I proceed?

The National Forest Service has a website for each unit. Look up the contact information there. They often have an info email as well. Otherwise, walk into a ranger station and explain the project, especially the educational aspect and that nothing is left behind. Feel free to mention the other federal agencies that have approved EarthCaches.